2008 Peddle to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trj977

Über Member
Hi

Just wondered if anybody on here was doing this, or had experience of past events? I have no idea of what to expect regarding distances between stops type of terrain etc. Hopefully not hilly as I am awful at climbing.

Any hints or advice would greatly appreciated. I have never attempted anything this far before and as the day looms nearer doubts are starting to occur.

An added complication is that I am leaving for a 2 week holiday on Saturday and I don't think bikes will be available although aerobic exercise sessions will be.

For the past 4 months We have been doing 2 or 3 rides during the week of 20 - 30 miles with a weekend ride of 40 - 50 miles. Hopefully this will be enough to get us through.

Of course if anybody would like to sponsor me that would also be gratefully accepted.

https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/delilah

Many thanks

Tom

jonathan ellis

I did it in 04. top notch organized ride. I was worried about riding so far each day, so along with regular rides (like your doing) I cycled 80 miles over rolling terrian on a saturday, stayed at my destination and cycled back the next day. I found that really helped
good luck

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've been last two years running, but with Action Medical Research. I presume you are going via calais, in which case i can tell you dover is hilly and i believe that the 3rd day on the calais route is the hilliest part of france (so i've been told as i've done dunkerque route and Dieppe route). The dunkerque route runs parallel so i think the terrain is pretty similar to calais. don't worry, there are some hills but you will get up them. The last day into Paris will probably be shortest and flattest. You are looking to do an average of 70 miles per day, but some will be longer and some shorter. ideally, i would recommend you try and get in at least an 80 mile day, and maybe do a recovery ride of 20 miles the day after, before you go on the trip.

if you can't do that, don't worry, i did NO training for my last one as I had broken my collar bone 9 weeks before. And i went via Newhaven, Dieppe, Liseux and Vernon and that's the hilly every day! and i still made it.

don't forget to have a damn good stretch when you get off the bike at the end of the day. and lots of cream for your bits! carry a small pot with you in your pocket. and buy some decent padding. and take lots of photos. and when you're really knackered just remind yourself you could be at work!

jonathan ellis

it's approx
Day 1 = 95miles
Day 2 = 80miles
Day 3 = 70miles
Day 4 = 55miles

As buggi says the hill at Dover is probably the worst hill.

Have fun

Top Bottom