2012 Cube Peloton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Just out of curiosity are you in Wokingham yet? If so a trip to Cyclezone in Crowthorne would be recommended. 25% discounts on Ridley bikes while stocks last.

Yes, that is the LBS I'm referring to. The guy in their immediately pointed me to the Pelaton, didn't mention Ridley. Didn't notice anything on the shop floor for under a grand.

Nice guys in there. Certainly didn't complain about me bring mud-splattered self, and mud-splattered MTB into their nice clean shop (I was on my way back from Swinley.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi,

Does anybody know when the Cube Peloton 2012 range will be available?

Thanks

I'm trying to order one for C2W. I was told Jan 2012, but to keep checking.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Its not so much that I 'want' a Cube, but that is what the LBS stock, along with Giant.

Its more that, as a newbie, will that extra £150 (or £350, I could go in at that even lower price point) be noticeable? Yes, I know that its cheaper to buy a good gear-set with the bike, and that going for the £999 Peloton is good value, probably better value than the lower priced bikes - but will I notice?

My LBS says they'll be in stock soon - but back to the question
whistling.gif

Will a newbie get value from spending extra on a better gear set?

My LBS says they'll be in stock soon - but back to the question
whistling.gif

Will a newbie get value from spending extra on a better gear set?

My opinion is that you'd probably be better going for the Tiagra equipped Pro model as opposed to the Sora. Having ridden my 2010 Peloton with Tiagra for 14 months I have to say that Tiagra works well - the same as 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace insofar as it has paddle like levers behind the brake levers which downshift the front mech and upshift the rear with the brake levers used for the opposite changes on either side. Sora on the other hand has buttons on the inside for downshifting which I am led to believe make it difficult to operate if you are on the drops. That said Sora would not be on so many entry level bikes if it wasn't any good.
In a nutshell this means that should you upgrade your Shimano groupset to 105 or above you will be using something you are familiar with. It is probably worth paying an extra £120 for the Tiagra equipped bike in my opinion.
With regards to looking beyond Tiagra - for an extra £200 with the Peloton Race (105 with Ultegra rear mech) there will be a weight advantage in choosing the latter, however shifting a couple of pounds through riding regularly would probably have a more significant effect, unless of course you are looking to race on it in which case the Peloton Race would be a better bet.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My opinion is that you'd probably be better going for the Tiagra equipped Pro model as opposed to the Sora. Having ridden my 2010 Peloton with Tiagra for 14 months I have to say that Tiagra works well - the same as 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace insofar as it has paddle like levers behind the brake levers which downshift the front mech and upshift the rear with the brake levers used for the opposite changes on either side. Sora on the other hand has buttons on the inside for downshifting which I am led to believe make it difficult to operate if you are on the drops. That said Sora would not be on so many entry level bikes if it wasn't any good.
In a nutshell this means that should you upgrade your Shimano groupset to 105 or above you will be using something you are familiar with. It is probably worth paying an extra £120 for the Tiagra equipped bike in my opinion.
With regards to looking beyond Tiagra - for an extra £200 with the Peloton Race (105 with Ultegra rear mech) there will be a weight advantage in choosing the latter, however shifting a couple of pounds through riding regularly would probably have a more significant effect, unless of course you are looking to race on it in which case the Peloton Race would be a better bet.

According to the Spec sheets the difference is 100grammes. !!

Exactly, the point I was making was that it there are more cost effective ways to achieve weight reductions than to spend an extra £200 on a groupset.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Phone call to Leisurelakes this afternoon suggests they'll be available from end of October. I've more or less decided on the Race model.

Fast_Mark

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, if you're looking at dropping a grand on a bike, have you considered the Focus Cayo 105? Okay, it's not full 105 and the wheels aren't as nice as the Fulcums which will presumably be fitted to the 2012 Peloton (2011 Cube Attempt has Fulcrum 7s) but it's a helluva lot of bike for the money.

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, if you're looking at dropping a grand on a bike, have you considered the Focus Cayo 105? Okay, it's not full 105 and the wheels aren't as nice as the Fulcums which will presumably be fitted to the 2012 Peloton (2011 Cube Attempt has Fulcrum 7s) but it's a helluva lot of bike for the money.

No point. C2W scheme dictates the shop

OP
OP
tjw_78

tjw_78

I'm 6'2" and 12 stone. And I do adventure racing (MTB+Trailrunnning+Navigation). Believe me, there is no more weight to lose on me!
biggrin.gif

But I doubt I will race on the road bike (well, not seriously anyway), so I'm leaning towards the Tiagra equipped Pro.

Cube Peloton (Sora) ~ £679 was Aerial 2011
Cube Peloton Pro (Tiagra) ~ £799 was Peleton 2011
Cube Peloton Race (105) ~ £999 was Attempt 2011
Cube Peloton SL (Ultegra) ~ £1169 was Stremer 2011

I would agree with this.

I have a 2008, 105 + FSA Crankset (and only cost myself 700 quid new :tongue: prices are going up! - 5600 apposed to what I assume will be 5700 though)

Difference here seem that they are using a full groupset now - so 105 etc Crankset. Granted the "105" Race has an Ultegra RD and the "Ultegra" SL has an 105 Crankset :tongue:

Cubist

Still wavin'

The 2012 Peloton Race will have Eaton EA30 Semi -Aero wheelsets.

Top Bottom