2012 Giant Escape RX 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi all,
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Giant Escape RX 1 (black with yellow detail) for under £200. If I did purchase it, it would be to cycle a 6 mile round trip each morning for fitness and fresh air.
I understand Giant make good bikes and the size is the right size for me, however I do have some questions if you could share your advice on please?

1) Being a 2012 bike, is there anything on this bike that would be classed as old technology today and thus something to avoid?
2) I understand this bike has a carbon fork. Will a carbon fork of this age, and it's been used regularly year after year, be safe still? I just wonder, due to the lightness of carbon, if the fork will still be robust this many years on (I'm a heavy rider too (17st))?
3) Apparently, the bike is in good condition, having never been in any accidents. The chain is rusting and it may be slipping gears. Would a standard service fix this and could it be something I could fix myself, and how much to fix?

What I like about the bike is a) it's a Giant so should be made well (even if it's from 2012) b) It seems to be a road side of a hybrid so should be good for my 6, even 10, mile rides.

If it was a 2016 bike I'd think all is mechanically sound but being a 2012 model I wonder if it would be weakened in any way (i.e. too old)??
I think it's a good price too but do correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It will be fine - sounds like it needs a new chain and probably a cassette - a good all round service would help.

My mate is happily riding around on a similar aged (2009 IIRC) Bianchi I sold onto him - carbon fork and seatstays still supporting his ample frame.

I also have a 1987 Peugeot that still rides beautifully

Reactions: dac

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If it was a 2016 bike I'd think all is mechanically sound but being a 2012 model I wonder if it would be weakened in any way (i.e. too old)??

I regularly ride a bike that was made in early 1974,, so 47 years old. The newest bike I own was made in 1999. I have others too, and they average out at around 30 years old. Age is totally irrelevant, it all comes down to how it has been previously used and the standard of maintenance.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Apart from disc brakes I'm not sure things have changed massively in 8 years. I have a Giant carbon road bike, 2007 ish, bought used, and it's a great bike. A 2012 bike in decent nick will have years left in it.

Reactions: dac

yo vanilla

I googled "how long does carbon fork last" and got loads of results, This one seems nice . I'm no expert but a quick browse says if it's not been in a crash, or bolts over-tightened, it should last a long while. Inspect for cracks and spiderwebs, etc.

If the chain is slipping gears I would consider new cables, cassette, chain. Perhaps $60 in parts, I don't know what a labor charge would be. Maybe a rear derailleur... but my money's on a worn cable first.

On the rest, I've got a 1998 Giant Yukon with loads of miles in great shape.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It would be at least £100 for a service which includes the rear cassette, chain and cables etc. Check the tyres as well before deciding anything. You may be better off buying a new bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My wife rides one of these, (and I have a go occasionally), the 2016 model I believe. Niether of us are light, so the bike is strong enough for you.
The fork will be fine unless it's been abused or crashed.
Most of these types of bikes don't do big miles so the cassette might even be alright, inspect it for wear (shark toothing on teeth), give everything a clean and lube and see. I suspect that a new chain, possibly new cables, and Bob might be your uncle.

200 would be a touch high for a 9 year old bike that was at the cheaper end of the range to start with I'd say, ours was under 400 brand new although it was "last year's model". At 150 I might be tempted if it looked in good nick. Rusty chains happen.

They're nice / fun to ride, not at all like a road bike, but lively enough and pretty light and quickish.

Top Bottom