2013-11-13 Cyclist Fatality - Commercial St/Whitechapel Rd (London)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
One of the worst 10 days for cyclists on London's roads that I can remember.

A fifth person in nine days has died while cycling on London's roads.

A man died in hospital at about 04:00 GMT following a collision with a double decker bus in Whitechapel Road near Aldgate East Station in east London at about 23:30 GMT.

The male driver of the bus was treated at the scene for shock, said police.

On Wednesday evening a vigil was held after a woman in her 20s was killed in a crash with a lorry at Bow Roundabout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24936942

subaqua

What’s the point
and the 6th in 9 in the UK following the hit and run near nantwich.

http://www.cheshire-today.co.uk/22652/cyclist-killed-in-nantwich-hit-and-run/

One is too many, this is just slaughter. Maybe proper charges of death by dangerous driving need to be used instead of lesser charges. or would that involve more work to get the proper evidence.

spen666

Legendary Member
4 of the 5 deaths in London are on my commute. Its a sobering thought how close these deaths are to me.

RIP to them all.

Stay safe out there, and remember, its better to be late in this world than dead early in the next. Take your time, and ride defensively, even if it means riding slower.

htid

Regular
4 of the 5 deaths in London are on my commute. Its a sobering thought how close these deaths are to me.

RIP to them all.

Stay safe out there, and remember, its better to be late in this world than dead early in the next. Take your time, and ride defensively, even if it means riding slower.

Well said. The amount of cyclists I see dodging between traffic to get to the front of the queue is worrying. Waiting in the queue like all the other traffic may add a few minutes onto your commute but at least you're fully visible to everybody around you and (hopefully) aren't going to end up injured or worse. Trouble is, you can be as careful as is humanly possible, yet there will still be lots of idiots not paying attention due to mobiles etc.

RIP to all those unfortunate people who are just trying to do their bit for the environment and/or their health.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Wow.I left Waterloo at 11pm or perhaps later and found the Upper Thames Street quite busy leading up to Aldgate..I was actually thinking of my workmate there who uses that bit to Forest Gate but know he finished after twelve,but it had me thinking.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
RIP.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I was and there wasn't. for future reference if you are interested in those and want to know if one is going on, a good source of information is London cycle campaigns twitter feed - https://twitter.com/london_cycling
Thanks Gaz - I'm following already. I'm in Swansea but concerned and interested about what's happening in London. Bbecause so much had happened so quickly I thought some spontaneous momentum might generate ongoing protest, whether LCC co-ordinated or not. It would seem entirely reasonable to me if people were to stop the junction, starting at rush hour, until they get answers and action.

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom