2014 Plans!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi all,

As many of you know, I recently acquired a new touring bike - my first! And am planning on doing a tour next year, with a twist.

After plenty of thought, I've decided to do some volunteer-type work across Canada, while touring. So, in the next six-or-so months, I plan on joining a volunteering organisation such as WWOOF, or HelpX, or something similar, and then cycle-touring across the country, except for the fact that my destinations will be set out by what I sign up for in terms of volunteer work, and where it is.

I plan on using my journalistic experience and passion for writing along the way - by writing about the places I've been on my blog, maybe for the local town newspaper (if the opportunity arises) and hopefully, eventually penning a book - a sort of guide, if you will. For those people, like me, who are fresh out of school and have no idea what to do with their lives.

What do you all think of this idea?

Thanks,

Jhawk.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I hope you are going to continue to post on here so we can follow your progress with plenty of photos in "My ride today".

Well done and good luck and can i have a signed copy of the book please?:biggrin:

:thumbsup:

Biker Joe

Über Member
That's a great idea.
Could turn out to be quite an adventure. Canada is a great country for an adventure.
My son wasn't getting anywhere after he left education so he saved up for a year doing any work he could. After he got the money together, he just up and left for Canada for 4 months until his money ran out.
He said it was an experience he would never forget.
It would make for a very interesting book. I would buy it. ( signed of course:biggrin:)
I wish you all the best with your plans. I think it would be a terrific experience for you.
Keep us up to date.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Have a great time and have a proper adventure out there!

Just coming out of school is a really good time to do it, go out and get some life experience that is different to being tied to a desk.
I went straight into work, and while I like the regular income from it, I am wishing I could have taken time out and had a bit of an adventure.

Never too late, but commitments or excuses can more easily derail any plans when you have been out of school or in work a while.

Oh, and good luck with the book, lets hope you get some good tales for it.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Day Trip complete! Blog post up-and-coming. I loved it, although the last thirty kilometres was difficult - I was energy-less and learned a valuable lesson about packing more food and bringing more money! :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think it is a really good idea and an ideal way to save cash on your travels by letting someone house you and feed you.

Jannie and I have just signed up for Helpx and we are both over 50. We filled out a cv of ourselves and explained what we were looking to do and added some photos of our garden as we are keen gardeners. We have already been contacted by 3 hosts. An estate in Scotland, a retreat on an Island South of Sicily and a wellness B&B in the highlands. We thought we would be doing all the chasing but that is not the case.

Jhawk, do you have a Blog already?

Steve

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
I think it is a really good idea and an ideal way to save cash on your travels by letting someone house you and feed you.

Jannie and I have just signed up for Helpx and we are both over 50. We filled out a cv of ourselves and explained what we were looking to do and added some photos of our garden as we are keen gardeners. We have already been contacted by 3 hosts. An estate in Scotland, a retreat on an Island South of Sicily and a wellness B&B in the highlands. We thought we would be doing all the chasing but that is not the case.

Jhawk, do you have a Blog already?

Steve
Hi there Steve,

I do have a blog. The URL is: www.jackonabike.wordpress.com. I post there as often as possible about all my cycling endeavours. What about yourself?

Thanks,

Jack.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Good luck Jack. My son went to Indonesia to teach English for a year and loved it- my daughter's in Spain now doing the same.. have a great adventure!

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
I've often thought about doing the whole ESL teaching gig. But I decided against it - purely because I don't think that I'd be any good when it comes to teaching. I've been okay in a teaching capacity when it comes to things that I'm knowledgeable about. But, I never was very strong in the linguistics department at school, not that I REALLY struggled, but I found it difficult.

Still, perhaps that's something I'll reconsider in the future. Good luck to your son and daughters in their future endeavours!

Top Bottom