2014 predictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And seeing he has already notched the first race of his season, it's looking even better (for all of you) :thumbsup:

Well, he certainly isn't 'riding into fitness' - unlike Carlos Betancur, who was dragged around the Tour de San Luis in somwhere down near 140th and says he had a very relaxed time off and is carrying several extra kilos. I think it's safe to say he's aiming for the Vuelta...

The Couch

Über Member
Well, he certainly isn't 'riding into fitness' - unlike Carlos Betancur, who was dragged around the Tour de San Luis in somwhere down near 140th and says he had a very relaxed time off and is carrying several extra kilos. I think it's safe to say he's aiming for the Vuelta...
Yeah, read the article on Cyclingnews... he said about 6 kilos too much (and he isn't big or heavy to start with), he didn't seem to make a big deal of it himself though, since - according to him - once he goes to Europe and starts dieting, he goes very quickly to his optimum weight.

But there were many others that didn't have put down a great result yet.
Nibali, Van Den Broeck, Santaromita, Intxausti, Kangert, Purito, Moreno
All people that you'd expect higher up (if they would be in form and/or putting their mind to it)

The Couch

Über Member
Note that the Wiggo comment was followed by "wishful thinking". Not a fantasy, because the possibility of even starting is pretty low!
Your wishful thinking has just got a bump up:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-wiggins-paris-roubaix-target-a-goal-in-itself

Still...starting (and calling it out as a goal) isn't the same as actually having an impact on the race itself... not with his limited success - so far - in early season classics
(and I'm not even going to go into... what if it would be bad weather :smile:)

Although the online bookies are putting him quite high in the ranking, I wouldn't wager much on it... if anything (since I was checking the odds anyway) I'd rather have a gamble on Stijn Vandenbergh, Paolini, Leukemans or Kristoff who have all shown more potential in these type of races (although of course they haven't won it yet)... and these guys could win you more money than Wiggo :smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
Your wishful thinking has just got a bump up:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-wiggins-paris-roubaix-target-a-goal-in-itself

Still...starting (and calling it out as a goal) isn't the same as actually having an impact on the race itself... not with his limited success - so far - in early season classics
(and I'm not even going to go into... what if it would be bad weather :smile:)

Although the online bookies are putting him quite high in the ranking, I wouldn't wager much on it... if anything (since I was checking the odds anyway) I'd rather have a gamble on Stijn Vandenbergh, Paolini, Leukemans or Kristoff who have all shown more potential in these type of races (although of course they haven't won it yet)... and these guys could win you more money than Wiggo :smile:
here are the ifs..if it's a decent day, if he does not get caught out in a crash, or suffer one himself, if he does not puncture too many times, if he can be around the head of affairs with 50km to go, if he can get away because a solo effort will be the route to a win, if the fast finisheres can be ridden off the wheel inside the last 20km....I wouldn't bet at short odds! BUT, with a bit of luck and decent weather, you never know. Wiggo has a track record of delivering, if you leave aside the horrible Giro from 2013.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
here are the ifs..if it's a decent day, if he does not get caught out in a crash, or suffer one himself, if he does not puncture too many times, if he can be around the head of affairs with 50km to go, if he can get away because a solo effort will be the route to a win, if the fast finisheres can be ridden off the wheel inside the last 20km....I wouldn't bet at short odds! BUT, with a bit of luck and decent weather, you never know. Wiggo has a track record of delivering, if you leave aside the horrible Giro from 2013.

I think it all depends on how much the backroom boys at Sky are putting in to acheiving this... I'm still going for Stybar this year.

beastie

Guru
I think it all depends on how much the backroom boys at Sky are putting in to acheiving this... I'm still going for Stybar this year.
It's Cancellara v OPQS I reckon, with the usual provisos re luck. Sagan is definitely going for it so who knows he might be worth an outside bet. OPQS will surely attack with Stybar leaving Boonen to follow and take the sprint. It could be an epic year for PR if Boonen and Spartacus are both on top form then it is hard to see past them.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
It's Cancellara v OPQS I reckon, with the usual provisos re luck. Sagan is definitely going for it so who knows he might be worth an outside bet. OPQS will surely attack with Stybar leaving Boonen to follow and take the sprint. It could be an epic year for PR if Boonen and Spartacus are both on top form then it is hard to see past them.
It is one to savour - I really hope Cancellara, Boonen & Sagan make it there with health and form. Then we see who is best.
Throw Stybar, Wiggins etc into the mix and wow. Please let it be so - it will take luck for these contenders to make it to race day, luck which may not happen again.

The Couch

Über Member
Cancellara already had a fall on his elbow in the off-season, so he's a tiny bit behind on schedule... so indeed let's hope it doesn't end up like the never-ending story of 2013 with Boonen (that started with something similar if I remember correctly)

beastie

Guru
Cancellara already had a fall on his elbow in the off-season, so he's a tiny bit behind on schedule... so indeed let's hope it doesn't end up like the never-ending story of 2013 with Boonen (that started with something similar if I remember correctly)
It's the same as 2012 Cancellara fell in RVV.

VamP

Banned
It is one to savour - I really hope Cancellara, Boonen & Sagan make it there with health and form. Then we see who is best.
Throw Stybar, Wiggins etc into the mix and wow. Please let it be so - it will take luck for these contenders to make it to race day, luck which may not happen again.

Could be a really vintage one if all the stars align.

oldroadman

Veteran
The thing is with Roubaix, to even finish you need to be super whatever your job is, and you need a lucky break or two. It's a race that good luck on it's own can't win, but bad luck will wreck it in an instant. What everyone knows is that the race to be top 20 into the first pave stretch will be brutal with absolutely no mercy shown - business as usual. Not often the trains get to work so hard early in a race, but this is one.:banghead:

Top Bottom