2016 Langster Qs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Hi, last time I looked at a Langster (years ago), it had flip/flop cogs but now only comes with fixed.

If I buy a shimano free wheel cog and screw it onto the non fixed side, is there enough thread?

I will use the bike as a commuter. Got any wheel recommendations? I'm thinking something like mavic aksium quality, possibly a little better. If you say handbuilt, let me know what hub/rim/spoke combo. I will run 25mm tires.

Sharky

Guru
Yes, a freewheel sprocket will screw onto a hub with dual threads. If you think about it, there will be more thread contact than a straight forward fixed sprocket and you have the same amount of power, so will be no problem.

I run a rear mavic ellipse(fixed), with a front mavic ellite(QR hubs). Both nice wheels, but only used for my TT's, so don't get an excessive mileage use.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The stock wheels Langster I had were OK and the stock tyres were a good quality too. Re the free wheel, not all freewheel and threads are a match made in heaven. Some of the shoulders stop full depth screwing. Whilst it's secure enough, the chain line might be up to 5mm out, which is a lot in the world of fixie/ss. Just make sure you check it before you use it so the chain's not thrown at a dodgy point.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My flip-flop hub is 135mm spacing.
But the Langster isn't.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Langster comes with a fixed cog (the flip side). The shop guys said they can install a freewheel cog on the other side (the flop side) and while this isn't recommended, they say the thread is lon enough to fit the cog.

Since its a freewheel cog, no locking is required. Idk how "good" this solution is but if I got a new rear wheel, can this problem be corrected with a better solution?

Top Bottom