FNRttC 2017 (that's next year, folks) thinking ride thread

You do want to come on this tour don't you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianmac62

Guru
... a polite "can we speak in English please?" is a good way to start ...

Absolutely. My personal preference is to start with, "I'm terribly sorry that I don't speak Flemish".

Mind you, when I started with "I'm terribly sorry that I don't speak Dutch" on last year's rest day when I was buying tickets for @jiberjaber, @StuartG and myself and our bikes in Arnhem, the ticket lady replied with, "Harrumph! That's why we have to learn English! You come here, cycling on our paths, riding on our railways, going in to our cafés and you can't be bothered to learn Dutch and now you want me to sell you rail tickets!" She did have a wonderful twinkle in her eyes but this wasn't observed by my companions who thought I was starting an international incident.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm away tomorrow morning, am currently busy sorting out possible routes for my little trip, which starts in Dover and goes via Dunkirk, the Belgian coast, with sightseeing hours planned for Bruges and Ghent. Also a peek at Eindhoven and Breda which seem to have very pretty medieval centres. There are ferries. Andn octagonal fort with an ancient town inside. And bridges. But no roads on which we rode this year, none at all. And no days of more than 100k.
This might, or might not, turn into a possible tour for next year. Let's see.
Maastricht i liked as soon as I walked down the road. I would like to see more of Leuven,
Might even be able to keep @User happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Am back in Dear Old Blighty. I have Very Bad News about the Tour, but more of that later.
My thoughts are that this will make a very good route but it needs some tweaking. Nights in both Bruges and Ghent meant hours and hours of time for sightseeing, and could better be replaced by a night in Ostend, which is a pretty cool place with lots of beaches and art on display. The Tour will be in July and a sunny Sunday spent pootling along the prom from de Panne to Ostend would be nice. You may, or may not, wish to while away an hour on that prom by hiring a bike that seats 12 people, all pedalling.
That would allow time the next day for lunch and a bit of sightseeing in Bruges, which is very pretty.
The route I rode needs some tweaking in quite a few places, particularly between Ghent and Leuven. We need to pass more cafes and spend zero time on muddy farm tracks on this day. I might go back and check this after the Brussels-Ostend overnight ride in May.
Leuven to Maastricht also needs tweaking and I might simply steal the successful @Gordon P & @redfalo route and reverse it.
After Eindhoven we pass a massive Decathlon, stop for coffee and spend ages on a cycle track through woods, birdies going tweetie tweetie, all very nice.
There are lots of pretty, medieval towns with decent cafes for lunches and/or coffee. Oh, and an ancient hexagonal fort with a town inside it where we stop for lunch.
On the final day - a "two ferries" day - we ride through a massive industrial area with very impressive factories, loading facilities etc, for about 40 minutes. One for the infrastructure aficionados. It'll be a Saturday so there's no traffic at all and anyway almost the entire week's riding is on dedicated cycle paths. I think we shared a road with cars about 10 per cent of the time.
There is a fair bit of riding alongside canals but I suspect there won't be many objections to this because the tarmac is usually perfect, there's no traffic, and if the weather is hot and sunny - or windy - the trees give shelter.
Finally, I did have some doubts about a few of the surfaces, which in some places are less than perfect (think cobbles). But riding across the car park at Harwich docks reminded me that we're used to riding in the south east and London. Nothing we're going to meet will deter us.
That's not the Bad News.
The Bad News is that, try as I might, I couldn't find a single hill anywhere. Sorry.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We leave Dover on Saturday July 1, leave the Hook on Saturday night July 8 arrive in Dear Old Blighty about 7 am on Sunday July 9.
I plan to ring the ferry company about reserving cabins because it'll be July and they might be full.
SO NOBODY BOOK ANYTHING YET......
(except the time off work, obvs.)

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
That moment when you test one of your bikes after a good clean and maintenance session and wonder why the mirror is on the wrong side. And realise you haven't used it since The Borders Of Belgium Audax with fellow Friday member @AKA Bob in September. Then realise you've bought some bib longs especially in case the Fridays December 17 night ride is cold. And remember the expedition bike was last used on a recce for the Fridays 2017 Tour. And the other bike was last used for the Fridays 2016 Tour. Then understand just how much The Fridays means and how much it's taken over life. That moment.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Can someone please remind me of the provisional dates for this? :smile:
My current thinking is to have a day off in Maastricht, then ride to Eindhoven thence to Breda and arrive there on the SATURDAY about 6pm. Some could then take the train (90 minutes) to the Hook and catch the Saturday night ferry and arrive in Harwich on Sunday morning so they could be at work bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday morning first thing. Others would ride from Breda to the Hook on Sunday and take the Sunday night ferry, arriving (with bicycles after 10am) in London Liverpool Street and in an office in London by 12 noon, should they choose so to do. Yet snother option is to spend the night in Breda and take the train to the Hook on the Sunday and take the afternoon ferry (no cabin needed, obvs) - but this involves a late arrival in London, which is OK for some Londoners but tricky for tose with onward travel plans.
This is all a bit messy but it does provide the option of a day off on the Thursday.
There will be consultation on this, then I'll make a completely arbitrary and dictatorial decision based on mere whim. Hope that's OK.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Fridays December 17 night ride
????
I haven't been paying attention.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My current thinking is to have a day off in Maastricht, then ride to Eindhoven thence to Breda and arrive there on the SATURDAY about 6pm. Some could then take the train (90 minutes) to the Hook and catch the Saturday night ferry and arrive in Harwich on Sunday morning so they could be at work bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday morning first thing. Others would ride from Breda to the Hook on Sunday and take the Sunday night ferry, arriving (with bicycles after 10am) in London Liverpool Street and in an office in London by 12 noon, should they choose so to do. Yet snother option is to spend the night in Breda and take the train to the Hook on the Sunday and take the afternoon ferry (no cabin needed, obvs) - but this involves a late arrival in London, which is OK for some Londoners but tricky for tose with onward travel plans.
This is all a bit messy but it does provide the option of a day off on the Thursday.
There will be consultation on this, then I'll make a completely arbitrary and dictatorial decision based on mere whim. Hope that's OK.
Holiday dates are being reviewed, to see whether we might come after all. I like the idea of a day off.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
????
I haven't been paying attention.
I wondered if anyone would notice that. It's A Cunning Plan.
Not far. A meal. Warmer than you expect. Fun. Usual start. Easy to get home afterwards. Great views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom