FNRttC 2022 Friday Night Ride Calendar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Ride calendar is live on the website. There are lots of rides planned this year :-)
In addition to Fen Bridges (night), Gown to Crown (Cambridge to King's Lynn) and Fen Bridges (day), I'm also leading two new daytime rides.
In May, Norwich to Blakeney Railway Loop, involving off road and a working steam railway. In August, Suffolk Ferry ride starting from Ipswich, in a loop to Orford, involving two, possibly three ferries.
Happy 2022 riding :-)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A good few rides on that calendar. Never done a night time explore of London. Must be quite the light show.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A good few rides on that calendar. Never done a night time explore of London. Must be quite the light show.
The other half and I did an evening one in the first lockdown, just scooting around, crossing the river a few times and taking in some landmarks. It was really good and obviously very little traffic then. The views up and down the river are excellent.

JhnBssll

Veteran
The suffolk ride sounds interesting, starts only a few miles from home... Wonder what sort of bicycle is recommended due to the "off-road" sections...

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
@JhnBssll here's an example of the off road :-)
Three of us did the test ride last year, all road bikes with my setup illustrated below, 32mm tyres but the other bikes I'm fairly sure had narrower. @robjh might be able to offer more advice :-)
If you're in the Fridays FB group then I posted photos from it there.
The off road includes grass, sandy track and gravel. Most of the route is road, the bits near the coast can get a bit grotty. So if you used a MTB then it might be slow going on the rest of it. Being local are you familiar with some of the area?
The route will vary depending on weather conditions and what ferries are operational. If you haven't been down there, then the Butley Ferry is a rowing boat!

PXL_20210807_124740922.jpg

PXL_20210807_121721720.jpg

JhnBssll

Veteran
I grew up in Martlesham so know the area well :smile: I have road bikes and mountain bikes but nothing in between unfortunately :laugh: I've been considering some 650b wheels and knobbly tyres for the ti road bike, maybe now is the time to take the plunge!

OP
OP
LucretiaMyReflection

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I grew up in Martlesham so know the area well :smile: I have road bikes and mountain bikes but nothing in between unfortunately :laugh: I've been considering some 650b wheels and knobbly tyres for the ti road bike, maybe now is the time to take the plunge!
No knobbly tyres were involved but YMMV, I do random off road with Maxxis Re-fuse 'gravel' tyres. Think will depend on your tolerance for wibbling and / or hike a bike. It is a relatively small amount though but thought I should highlight it. The path above was post smallest ferry.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Just a thought.
On Saturday morning, sitting in a café in my home town having what I’d hoped would be a peaceful breakfast, I watched a guy get loudly and roundly verbally abused by more than one individual.
When I saw him come in wearing a Russian hat with a red star on it, it did occur to me as a little tactless (cf. ex-Chelsea captain John Terry’s remarks of last week).
Ignoring the relative rights or wrongs of anyone abusing someone for their choice of headwear, we in the Fridays do bear a red star on our strip.
As I say, just a point to consider on the next Fridays outing.
C

Top Bottom