2022 TdY cancelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Shame

Reading around it sounds like an underlying issue was cash-strapped local authorities being required to pony up cash that they are unable or unwilling to provide. It must be a really tricky call to make - the event will have some payback for the tourism industry, but budgets will be extra tight at the moment.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In 2019 stage 4 was going right past my front door ...missing it already:sad:
I was looking forward to the riders tackling Cross Stone Rd, a steep climb out of Todmorden in the 2020 race but of course that didn't take place. I thought that they might be able to run it next year instead but it doesn't look like it will be back in the near future. Ho hum.... :sad:

Joffey

Big Dosser
It created a real buzz in Yorkshire. It's devastating that it looks like the end of the road. I'm shocked that it's been allowed to end like this TBH - it feels like it is to spite Verity somehow.

Tour of Britain (who don't ever come close to Yorkshire now) it is then. The TdY always seemed a bit better supported and a step up from he ToB so it is a massive shame.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes really disappointed. The Grand Depart was one of the best events I’ve experienced and the TdY a great follow up. In my eyes it had far more support than the ToB. The problem is that the funding Welcome Yorkshire receives comes from the local authorities and the benefits go into private businesses. That’s fine as it boosts local business but the LAs need to have the cash to invest. The issues around Gary Verity were probably the excuse they needed to look elsewhere.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
:ohmy:😢
that's a real shame, had a great day doing the sportive in Scarborough in 2016 I think, and watching other years.
doesn't sound like it will be back soon.

is there something hidden in:
Welcome to Yorkshire would like to acknowledge the incredibly important and much appreciated ongoing support from their local authority partners, as well as the support of the Mayor of South Yorkshire, Dan Jarvis, and the Mayor of West Yorkshire, Tracy Brabin, together with A.S.O. and British Cycling.
...or did North Yorks not elect a mayor? - I know there have been local authority changes of late which I assume created the South and West ones, but there is some massive super authority spanning a lot of North Yorks now

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know the ins and outs and details of this but I can see that if I was a council tax payer in a Yorkshire LA and I could see that, or I suspected that, my council tax was somehow subsidising ASO, and my bins weren't getting emptied I'd be a bit p'd off.

That's probably not a great summary but I don't doubt them when they say when they say "We had every intention for the race to go ahead but unfortunately some of the circumstances were out of our control and sometimes you have to make big calls for the right reasons."

Unlike, say, the demise of the Ride London Classic/que I don't think we can blame nimbyism and anti-cycling sentiment for this one.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
There's been no mayoral role for North Yorkshire yet; that may arise following the governments crazy decision to abolish all the existing councils (bar the already unitary York) and replace with a single mammoth authority whereas the far smaller Cumbria gets two authorities to replace the current ones there.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Covered on last night's Look North (Yorkshire) with a reporter ending with suggesting a one day event maybe in the future.

Top Bottom