2024 Races with Spoilers !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And there are those who say helmets serve no good purpose.

We can have a rational discussion about that if you want? (For one thing, manufacturers' own tests showed they do not reduce concussions. Food for thought, my friend ... )

Aaargh - another horrid crash, this time on the Tour of the Alps stage 4. A fast descent with a lefthand bend coming into a town.

Some bright spark decided to have a pavement taking up 1/3 of the road width, virtually the same colour as the road surface, and with a high kerb perfect for catching out the unwary. The race organisers failed to erect warning signs or to have marshals before the bend.

2 riders down (Chris Harper and Ben O'connor)... I really feared that they might be very seriously injured. I am hoping that Chris Harper isn't - he did at least seem to be talking to doctors at the roadside.

I found this video clip of the crash but you may not want to watch it...

Thanks Colin, scary incident :sad:
GN: OConnor finished 3rd on the day!

Harper's crash looked pretty bad, but he sat up pretty quickly. No definite news (I think), but I think he got off pretty lightly. Abandoned of course :sad:
I'm really in two minds about crash coverage. If you minimise it, that also reduces the apparent risks/harm the riders are taking. I think if they're putting their bodies on the line, we should know about the downside, and share their pain.
Unfortunately there will be some taking weird ghoulish pleasure in watching the crashes, so it's a tricky issue :-/

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Nothing like a bit of confidence....better hope for some better weather or put your thermals on Skelly 🤣

Skjelmose : "I can say, with my hand on my heart, that I am in the best shape of my life. Honestly, I believe I can be up there on Sunday and fight for the podium. I see myself on the podium with Tadej and Mathieu, but I don’t know the order yet"

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Great stage for Simon Carr yesterday...didn't think he'd hang on for that Chapeau !

Back to today's final stage I'm a little surprised that Lopez has managed to hang on to his lead on GC...got to be all in for Ben O'Connor today at 12/1...Stage and the overall would be nice please Ben 😁
Screenshot_20240419-093143.png

Having face planted a tree my helmet prevented a lot more fascial damage that just a few cuts.

How do you know that? More to the point, how do I know this happened as you claim it did :P :biggrin:
I went to A&E a few years back with a head-injury - 12 stitches in my forehead. I would GUESS a helmet would have mitigated that, so I am VERY aware they can help sometimes; but that was the 1st time in many decades of riding, and the reality is, some stitches are not the end of the world. Nature makes our heads rather well; that's why head injury clinics were not overwhelmed with cyclists back in The Dark Days pre-90s when no-one wore lids for leisure, and the modal share of cycling was much much higher. Pro Footballers play a few days after those oh-so-dangerous sounding "skull fractures".

Over to you, hit me with your risk assessment "facts" !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Coughs discreetly and nods in the direction of the helmets forum.

Mike_P

Guru
How do you know that? More to the point, how do I know this happened as you claim it did :P :biggrin:
I went to A&E a few years back with a head-injury - 12 stitches in my forehead. I would GUESS a helmet would have mitigated that, so I am VERY aware they can help sometimes; but that was the 1st time in many decades of riding, and the reality is, some stitches are not the end of the world. Nature makes our heads rather well; that's why head injury clinics were not overwhelmed with cyclists back in The Dark Days pre-90s when no-one wore lids for leisure, and the modal share of cycling was much much higher. Pro Footballers play a few days after those oh-so-dangerous sounding "skull fractures".

Over to you, hit me with your risk assessment "facts" !
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great stage for Simon Carr yesterday...didn't think he'd hang on for that Chapeau !

Back to today's final stage I'm a little surprised that Lopez has managed to hang on to his lead on GC...got to be all in for Ben O'Connor today at 12/1...Stage and the overall would be nice please Ben 😁
View attachment 728103

Distinct lack of serious attacking today and Ben O'Connor was missing in action!

Bahrain tried a bit but it was good to see Geraint try to make a break even though he got pulled back. I'm not sure if he's really fit for the Giro and just timing his peak to perfection or hes got zero chance !

Chislenko

Veteran
Distinct lack of serious attacking today and Ben O'Connor was missing in action!

Bahrain tried a bit but it was good to see Geraint try to make a break even though he got pulled back. I'm not sure if he's really fit for the Giro and just timing his peak to perfection or hes got zero chance !

I think the latter.

Top Bottom