205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velovoice

Veteran
Agreed. I think with only 4 hours between shifts yesterday, especially with the hard work he would have had to put up with cycling all that way into a headwind may take it;s toll. Hopefully we will be proved wrong.

GO STEVE!!!
Yes, that is always the "worry", isn't it? To be honest, I think that reference to an "incident" implies that something specific happened - very likely weather/wind/traffic related * -- which prompted him to think it may be worth getting off the road for a few hours. If @srw is right about the winds settling down a bit later, this seems a very wise move. And any downtime can certainly best be used to reduce any sleep deficit, especially, as you say @ianrauk , especially after yesterday's heroic achievements.

* ETA or indeed he knew he needed a few more hours' sleep, simple as. As we know, he knows his limitations (relatively speaking) very well indeed and certainly better than any of us can. :okay:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just taken a look at the forecast for Wellington. Now down to upper twenties mph, until about 5pm, then becoming a westerly in the teens. I predict a take-off sometime this afternoon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's been windy enough to bring down a tree on the local travel news so high sided vehicles are probably having problems too, let alone light bikes!

Would he return to where he finished cycling or just start from his current location?

I've posted before - I don't think he needs much rest. A few years ago he did 40,000km in the year, while also doing a full-time manual job involving physical labour. That included two or three overnighters a week, during which he effectively got no rest - and he didn't have a team of willing helpers but was doing everything himself.
That goes a long way to answering my question, though I still wonder if he can manage that kind of sleep deprivation day in, day out for a year. I've since found that Godwin was averaging 20ish, Kurt the same now, those speeds will be significant when 300 mile days are required.

PMarkey

Guru
It's been windy enough to bring down a tree on the local travel news so high sided vehicles are probably having problems too, let alone light bikes!

Would he return to where he finished cycling or just start from his current location?
He can start from where ever he likes , he could even relocate to another location as Kurt has done on a few occasions to take advantage of tail winds , the only problem is time lost whilst travelling.

Paul

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3616419, member: 9609"]Kurt has relocated a few times by vehicle, but I have never seen any evidence of purposefully getting up-wind.[/QUOTE]

He's mentioned it on FB a few times. Especially when he was in Florida. He drove to a point then cycled with the prevailing winds and repeated the exercise over a good few days.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thing on Facebook 40 minutes ago

There has been an incident this morning on the A38 near Wellington. Steve and bike are fine. The team have been dealing with it and Steve is having a well earned sleep break at a team members house. I will post more details later as we are very busy at the moment.
Hoppo
Anyone know what happened yet?
glad to hear steve is ok and getting a well earned if unscheduled rest.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3616450, member: 9609"]I only started following after he left Florda, and his two big relocations since didn't appear to be wind related.
(I occasionally cheat by getting a lift up-wind)[/QUOTE]
Its all fair at the end of the day. Tommy used the same strategy back in the day.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Its all fair at the end of the day. Tommy used the same strategy back in the day.
Perhaps Steve should start to too, all day into the head wind he would have yesterday then back up at stupid o clock this morning.I would have thought it could have been planned better.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Anyone know what happened yet?
glad to hear steve is ok and getting a well earned if unscheduled rest.
I've just read through all the new comments on his FB page. Nothing new. Someone said that he'd posted today's mileage. So I'm assuming that he's going to wait the wind out, the weather forecast says that's dropping in about 3 hours, for the area. I know nothing official though.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My garden fence has blown over, it is a grim day to be out on a bike. Best to take cover and sit this out, after all it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've just read through all the new comments on his FB page. Nothing new. Someone said that he'd posted today's mileage. So I'm assuming that he's going to wait the wind out, the weather forecast says that's dropping in about 3 hours, for the area. I know nothing official though.

Strava isn't showing a ride for today yet, he did post two rides for yesterday, with the second one being at midnight for the last twenty odd miles to Exeter, I am guessing some people are confusing this with his ride for today.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Message just up on FB

Chris 'Hoppo' hopkinson
I am extremely sad to announce that at approx 8.10am this morning Steve was ridden into by a moped not paying attention to what they were doing. Steve tried to carry but stopped in Wellington. He has then been collected by one of the team and taken to hospital. He has incurred 2 broken bones in his ankle and is currently in plaster. It is looking highly likely that he will require an operation to add a plate and screws.
That is all the information available at the moment.

Top Bottom