21 countries in 21 days?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

So this July, I went on my first bike tour. We cycled from London to Pamplona in 10 days. Awesome fun, gave me the bug. Especially because I only bought my first road bike in June.

Since then we've been discussing the next challenge. A friend's (smarmy) colleague managed to cycle 10 countries in days. We definitely want to one-up this sucker. So a gauntlet was thrown down - 21 countries in 21 days. Trip for next year.

Has anyone done anything like this, i.e. as many countries as possible in quick succession? If so, what route did you take? (speaking primarily about Europe here because I'd have a hard time doing that feat on any other continent!) I'm thinking the baltic states would tick off a lot of countries here and even starting out on the first day, you could get a ferry to Dunkirk, go through Bruges and be in Holland by dinner time!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Couple of questions/observations:
Are you allowed to fly between countries?
There are only three Baltic states then you'd have a long slog across Finland (ferry to Helsinki) or Belarus or Poland.
Greatest concentration of small countries looks to be around the Balkans and Mittel Europe but still difficult to link 21 together.
Bruges to Holland, then where? It's a long way across Germany to the next nearest country.
Good luck.

So this July, I went on my first bike tour. We cycled from London to Pamplona in 10 days. Awesome fun, gave me the bug. Especially because I only bought my first road bike in June.

Since then we've been discussing the next challenge. A friend's (smarmy) colleague managed to cycle 10 countries in days. We definitely want to one-up this sucker. So a gauntlet was thrown down - 21 countries in 21 days. Trip for next year.

Has anyone done anything like this, i.e. as many countries as possible in quick succession? If so, what route did you take? (speaking primarily about Europe here because I'd have a hard time doing that feat on any other continent!) I'm thinking the baltic states would tick off a lot of countries here and even starting out on the first day, you could get a ferry to Dunkirk, go through Bruges and be in Holland by dinner time!

I would be really grateful if you could provide more information about that tour.
Route, do you have GPS tracks or maps of the route you took
Where did you stay

LocalLad

Good luck...though I'll be impressed if you make it! From turkey into Greece, and lots of countries around there,but 21... :S

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Certainly is a big ask... best route i can suggest would be

1. Holland
  2. Belgium
  3. Luxembourg
  4. Germany
  5. France
  6. Switzerland
  7. Liechtenstein
  8. Austria
  9. Italy
  10. Slovenia
  11. Croatia
  12. Bosnia & Herzegovina (does that count as 2?)
  13. Montenegro
  14. Albania
  15. Kosovo (does that count at all?)
  16. Macedonia
  17. Greece
  18. Bulgaria
...then maybe Romania, Moldova and Ukraine... better get peddling!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
In 2010 I managed 3 countries in 1 minute 32 seconds, (Luxembourg, Belgium & Germany) just for the hell of it.
Here I am doing my "Trans-Belgium Sprint" :
62I 3 Countries in 1m 32s!.jpg

And this is where it was done (which was as easy as shooting fish in a barrel):
62H Trois Frontieres.jpg

If it helps, my rudimentary calculations suggest you should be able to achieve your feat in about 11 minutes.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're at the eastern end of Lake Constance, you can go Germany to Austria to Switzerland in about half an hour. Liechtenstein isn't far away either.

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

I would be really grateful if you could provide more information about that tour.
Route, do you have GPS tracks or maps of the route you took
Where did you stay

My friend mapped (most of) the routes on Strava. Not sure if you'll be able to see his rides by clicking on the links below? Let me know if not and I can find some other way of getting them over to you.
The checkpoints we had are listed on the excel screenshot below.

In some cities, we stayed at Aparthotels, which were extraordinarily good value for money (eg. this one in Rennes) and others we had prebooked a place via AirBnb. Also, because we all signed up to AirBnb using a recommendation code, we each received £16 off the booking fee. Worth signing up with a new email address for!

Durian

Über Member
Certainly is a big ask... best route i can suggest would be

1. Holland
  2. Belgium
  3. Luxembourg
  4. Germany
  5. France
  6. Switzerland
  7. Liechtenstein
  8. Austria
  9. Italy
  10. Slovenia
  11. Croatia
  12. Bosnia & Herzegovina (does that count as 2?)
  13. Montenegro
  14. Albania
  15. Kosovo (does that count at all?)
  16. Macedonia
  17. Greece
  18. Bulgaria
...then maybe Romania, Moldova and Ukraine... better get peddling!

You could add to those countries San Marino, Monaco, Andorra and Vatican City, all within reach.

Top Bottom