21 & Last stage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
This will seem like an anti climax now that the winner is (almost) confirmed. Something could happen to him I suppose but the chances are very slim. No doubt Friere will be watching to make sure he keeps the Green Jersey. However McEwan may well try to get a stage win to let everyong know he's still around. Must admit I like watching the closing stages in Paris, I've only ever done it on the TV, but this year I have no chance of that either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yello

Slotto have been no-show for Evans AND McEwan. I'd like to see McEwan get a win (as much as I'm not a fan of the gobby little shite!) but I just can't see it.

He had a good day yesterday but I wouldn't rule him out to complete an excellent tour for Team Columbia - Kim Kirchen.

mondobongo

Über Member
My feeling is that Thor Hushovd will take the stage in Paris. Have to say its been a great Tour and will look forward to seeing the highlights this evening.
Did think Robbie might have a go but don't think those Lotto boys are organised enough to lead him out but apart from picking Sastre my predictions have been pretty off the mark so he will pull off a moment of solo brilliance.

Robbie or Thor cant decide.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
been pretty boring really, the only excitement being the break Sastre made :biggrin: Think Evans chances would of been better with a stronger team. Even LA had not a bad team in his day. Maybe this is how it will be in a drug free sport ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's been an interesting tour, but not a great one. Cavendish made it special from our point of view, but the race didn't really come alive till L'Alp. Though yesterday's TT was gripping with all the possible permutations, which makes a change for an event that is normally as exciting as watching paint dry.

Smokin Joe said:
It's been an interesting tour, but not a great one. Cavendish made it special from our point of view, but the race didn't really come alive till L'Alp. Though yesterday's TT was gripping with all the possible permutations, which makes a change for an event that is normally as exciting as watching paint dry.

Yes - the time trials this year were a treat.

yenrod

Does everyone think that with the fact that the drugs police are REALLY nabbing down on the users (well in the 'tour) and add in the use of helmet radios: strategy has gone out the window thus making boring racing:?:!!!

Where'as when quite a few were reportedly 'on something' the performance was there too ride like a robot, under the direction of the DS in the car via the helmet radio.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I totally admit I know nothing about pro cycling but I've really enjoyed this tour - the second one I've watched. It lacked the drama of last years (in a good way) but I found it really interesting. Cav was clearly the icing on the cake but it's been fascinating. Slightly worried about what i'm going to watch now it's over.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Cathryn said:
I totally admit I know nothing about pro cycling but I've really enjoyed this tour - the second one I've watched. It lacked the drama of last years (in a good way) but I found it really interesting. Cav was clearly the icing on the cake but it's been fascinating. Slightly worried about what i'm going to watch now it's over.

I get the same feeling every year, Cathryn, but with the Olympics, Worlds and Vuelta to come we don't have to wait too long for some more action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
MrGrumpy said:
been pretty boring really, the only excitement being the break Sastre made :biggrin: Think Evans chances would of been better with a stronger team. Even LA had not a bad team in his day. Maybe this is how it will be in a drug free sport ?

Boring? It's been one of the tightest Tours for ages with interesting tactics and the winner completely uncertain until late on. Sure, there have been rather fewer superhuman feats (at least, not without blow-back) and we all know why that is. I've enjoyed this one more than any Tour for a while now.

I totally agree with you on Evans though. It was like he was trying to be beat CSC on his own. And he simply isn't good enough to be a solo champ - if that's what you are going to be you have to be more attacking. Sastre wasn't much different to Evans most of the time, but he was able to let his team do the hard work until he had the opportunity to attack, which he did, as it turned out, perfectly. I think Evans' lack of team support in the mountains meant he had worked much harder and therefore couldn't produce the kind of time trial of which he is capable.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
What I am hoping for in today's stage is:- not having a parade into Paris. Keep the race tight until the second Cat 4 climb and get Silence Lotto, AG2R and possibly a 3rd team at the head of the peloton thereby preventing CSC from taking charge. Then a breakaway of about 12 riders including Evans and Menchov to go and gain about 3 minutes+. Am I dreaming? Probably! Even in the '89 Tour when Fignon was behind LeMond by 8 secs, there was no real attack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Watching it in the garden - CC on one side of the screen, LeTour on the other.... and a cold beer or four !

Done my training this morning !

Top Bottom