22" Inner Tubes and/or tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help please.

Grandson has a bike which has 22" wheels with MTB type knobbly tyres. I'm struggling to source 22" x 2" Inner Tubes. Neither Wiggle nor Evans show anything online. Conti don't show anything in their catalogue.

Can anybody help the lad?

SJS have some with Presta valves here :- http://tinyurl.com/37358k.

OP
OP
John Ponting
Colin, thanks for the mention. I'll check with gradson on Monday and then get an order off if width is OK.

Cheers, and thanks from an 11 year old.

John Ponting, with all due respect its not a 22" tyre, its either a 20" or a 24". It may well be 20 or 24 X 2.2 but it sure aint 22". Theres no such thing. The above quoted 22 X 1 3/8 is a skinny tyre. Very old, very rare and not even remotely knobbly.

OP
OP
John Ponting
mickle said:
John Ponting, with all due respect its not a 22" tyre, its either a 20" or a 24". It may well be 20 or 24 X 2.2 but it sure aint 22". Theres no such thing. The above quoted 22 X 1 3/8 is a skinny tyre. Very old, very rare and not even remotely knobbly.

mickle - I'm sure you are trying to be helpfull but (with all due respect) you are failing this time.

Every lbs I have phoned knows about 22" MTB tyres and have sympathised with me.

It was an own brand bike bought from a superstore by my daughter less than 18 months ago. Had she spoken to me first I would have stopped her.

Try asking a small lbs for help; quote the tyre size and they will probably (correctly) ask if the bike was from toys r us within less than 2 years; if they know their stuff they will suggest (correctly) that the bike brand was Rhino; look on Rhino site and see that they have now dropped 22" wheels.

OP
OP
John Ponting
mickle said:
I beg your pardon John. :smile:

Get out of cycle retail for a couple of years and it all goes to pot.

not at all. all contributions gratefully accepted.

btw daughter went to local toys r us today and they still have 2 models of bike with 22" but at half price. staff had no idea about the non obtainable tyres and tubes.

lbs assures me that the rims and tyres are of a size that a 24" tube will be ok, considering the likely usage. OK as a spare in the wedge bag when grandson goes out with me. Looks like grandad is funding a new bike soon. Then his 2 brothers will probably decide that it's time they changed as well.

OP
OP
John Ponting
Thanks for comments everybody.

I gave in over the weekend and bought grandson another bike with 24" wheels. Found a shop in Ware that was old and narrow and full of bikes. Guy behind counter was also welcoming, friendly and helpfull.

Santiago

I know this thread is a bit old but I get 22x2.0 tubes for my Faction Zeitgeist 22 from Winstanley's BMX and Faction sell them online at www.factionbikeco.com
I've had two sets and run them at over 100psi, never had a bead blow but thorns still get me.

Top Bottom