23 mile commute - Hove to Horsham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jt15

Hello,

So I recently had a decision between 2 new job offers, and one of the biggest temptations for the nearest job was that I would be able to easily cycle to work (9 miles). However, for experience reasons I chose the job in Horsham. However I am determined to not give up on the idea of riding to work, even if its only once or twice a week! Does anyone have any experience on riding this kind of distance to work? there is a gym nearby so I was thinking of showering there in the mornings, but am wondering the best to take work clothes, etc. I have a 2015 Genesis Croix de Fer, which I am hoping will be suitable? And what realistic time could this be done in? I am hoping that 1:30 is a reasonable time as that would be pretty ideal. I am fit and healthy and will be pushing myself to get a good time. Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 142790_2.jpg
    142790_2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 15.12.23.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 15.12.23.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say 1h30 is ambitious if a lumpy route with traffic. Monday drive or train, take clothes for a week, Friday the same, take dirty stuff home to wash over weekend

si_c

Guru
I'm with @vickster, I think an hour and a half is quite ambitious for a 25mile commute. I'd suggest you do a couple of trial runs and see how long it takes, as that will give you a good benchmark to go by - bear in mind it will take a bit longer during rush hour traffic and you will also need to allow time for mechanicals. Does your new employer provide any facilities at all (lockers/shower)?

I took a quick look at google maps, and it suggested that there might be a quicker, slightly flatter route that might be worth considering.

In terms of your bike, I can't see any reason at all why it wouldn't be able to handle that commute - if you are already comfortable on it then that's the best choice of bike.

As Vickster and si_c write the timings may be a little optimistic. The bike is fine, although I’m biased commuting on a 2014 Croix de Fer!

As regards the route it will be very dependent on where you live in Hove and which option you choose to cross the South Downs. From east to west you have

1.the (segregated) A23 cycle path

2.Dyke Road followed by Saddlescombe or Devils Dyke Road

3.Dyke Railway cycle path – I have ridden it safely on a road bike

4.Downs Link Path – recently improved certainly as far as Bramber

Once north of The Downs I would avoid the A283 & A272 like the plague, they are fast and little quarter is given! My preference for leisure riding is the minor roads leading up through villages like Shermanbury, Maplehurst and Nuthurst, this will bring you out just east of Horsham on the A281. From there on it will depend on where you need to get to in the ever-expanding town of Horsham!

With the right tyres you could use the Downs Link up to Southwater/Christs Hospital and then wend your way into Horsham from there. It is a long time since I cycled that stretch so cannot vouch for its surface.

Best of luck with the new commute.

Top Bottom