23 miles to work and the chevin to boot!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi,

Brag post sorry. From a base of zero in January i have built up my commuting to work, part driving part cycling, increasing the distance bit by bit.

Today i rode all the way from home (otley) to work (normanton) a grand total of 23 miles. Besides which within 3 minutes of leaving home i have to cycle up the chevin, ( a big hill for those who dont know).

Anyway it p*ssed down, i have had to buy a new back wheel as my bearings went and it took me 90 minutes but i did it!;)

well chuffed.

andy

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Congrats Andy!
It's a liberating experience when you look back and see how much you have progressed. You are entitled to be well chuffed!

And reward or what, you get the downhill on the chevin on the way home I presume?;):smile:

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

:ohmy:Wow got overcharged £15 by edinburgh cycles for my wheel:ohmy:

Quick phone call put it right with no stress or trauma though:smile:

Could i have chosen a wetter day for my first monster commute? it would have been easier to sail home!

Andy

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

i take the road up toward bramhope which is a much less steep climb than the east chevin road. Its about 13 minutes of climbing at 10 miles an hour, i'm guessing about 600 feet?

Its not that its too much, it is just very early in my commute. Barely got going then the chevin looms. Plus when i started in January it was one of my goals to climb it, let alone then cycle the rest of the way to work.

andy

andy

Do the East Chevin Road and I'll take me hat off to yer.

Did it as part of Otley CC Hill Climb once and it hurts. But not as much as the one you have to do and hour before - up the B6451 from Lindley Wood Res.

MarkF

Guru
Been cycling now for over 2 years, still can't get up the East Chevin without several stops and a lie down in the parking areas:sad:

mmace

just looked at your ride on Google maps and my ride from Horsforth to Rawdon in the middle of the map looks pathetic (but is hard work for me - I'm a newbie!). I'm still impressed by the people who cycle up the chevin towards the airport, some people would struggle to walk it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've seen people cycle up still East chevin road, still extremely impressive. Seen a lot more people cycle up the main road!

andyfromotley said:
Today i rode all the way from home (otley) to work (normanton) a grand total of 23 miles. Besides which within 3 minutes of leaving home i have to cycle up the chevin, ( a big hill for those who dont know).
Well done, Andy and welcome to the "Man Sized Commuting Gang", you now have full membership. ;)

Top Bottom