24 inch wheel bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks, I've been given a old mountain bike 24 inch wheels. I had doctor tell me I need to exercise but limited due to mobility issues after numerous operations an been a old git lol,but a good friend told me cycling could help. I'm 6 ft tall, but didn't want to get a new bike till I see how it goes, anyway I was wondering just for local riding 4/6mile at most to start with. If I put longer seat post on would it be suitable? As I've seen folders an thought I would ask,

Sharky

Guru
No harm in trying. You should be able to get a good/correct saddle height with a longer seat post. But the reach to the handle bars might be too short and you could be cramped up, which could give shoulder and back ache.

Give it go and when (not if) you master the 6 mile course, you will know and start looking for that N+1

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd say no. I'm 6 foot, my 9 year old rides a 24 inch MTB and I ride it standing up as a bit of a party piece to make her laugh. It's hard, so very cramped!
It's not just a case of extending yourself upwards until your legs are almost straight (and boy, that would be some seat post), the reach to the bars is ultra short making your elbows into an almost 90 degree angle. And you'd be bending so far down.

vickster

Legendary Member
If any of your operations were orthopaedic in nature, make sure you get a bike that’s the right size for you, or could end up doing more harm than good

OP
OP
Older then dirt

Older then dirt

Regular
The operations were to my right foot, for four years back to back had to surgery to fix the mess from first operation. This left me with mobility issues an can't walk very well an very short distance, due to unbalanced its had a knock on effect with right knee an sciatica. During a recent check up doctor said more exercise due to weight gain.....but due to issues, limited to options plus been over 50 don't help. So when talking to a mate he mentioned cycling, but try it first, I had a 24 inch give me to ride but seat is to low.....I'm 6ft. Mentioned this to mate who said that folders have 18/20 inch wheels so maybe a longer seat post could be the answer. We spoke abt what doctor had said ( if I'm carrying weight, you should seen him lol). My mate is a ex army vet, an told me abt a guy he served with who is a amputee, he told me that he cycles with one leg an if he comes to a hill, he scoots it up till on flat. So it's doable with my restrictions but try it first, thanks for all advice guys

Top Bottom