25mile time trial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toontra

Veteran
RedBike said:
Your current pace shouldn't matter too much in a group entry. You just slipstream (sit in) all the way around. This is apparently 40% easier than pedalling on your own at that sort of speed.

I think that's up to 40%, probably more like 20-25% on average. Also a 20% reduction in power output required won't usually lead directly to a 20% increase in speed (I wish!). In effect you lose some of the advantage during the "rest" periods.

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
done on regular roads with traffic and junctions?

yikes

rlj?

No course includes traffic lights or right turns, what would be the point?

It can be hairy though as they are normally on fast A roads.

RedBike

Two courses around here do include traffic lights (crossings). If you go through on red then you are disqualified. Although saying this to my knowledge nobody has ever had to wait at the lights.

Plenty of routes have roundabouts which can involve stopping for traffic.

Last year I was unlucky enough to have to wait at a set of roadworks in the middle of a time trial. (They were set up after the event had started!)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It is on a fast A road, its wide though so the traffic doesn't need to get close.

I must admit I have my doubts about doing a sub 30mins, I think my average will be closer to 18mph if I push it.
Will a lot of these guys really do the 25 in less than 1 Hour?

walker

Panter said:
It is on a fast A road, its wide though so the traffic doesn't need to get close.

I must admit I have my doubts about doing a sub 30mins, I think my average will be closer to 18mph if I push it.
Will a lot of these guys really do the 25 in less than 1 Hour?

you better believe it matey

walker

andy_wrx said:
Noo ! Surely outside of London all the streets are cobbled and there are gaslamps ?

Only those that lead to coastal town's. the rest of us have to deal with just plain dirt tracks. Ever seen a Cyclocross rider come from central London?

wafflycat

domtyler said:
No course includes traffic lights or right turns, what would be the point?

It can be hairy though as they are normally on fast A roads.

Well, the occasional course can indeed include a right turn and/or traffic lights. It is, however, possible to have traffic lights turned off for the duration of the event. I noes, coz I was marshalling a traffic light point on a course. Also, the course is 'normally' dependent upon local geography and highways, so it may be 'normal' for many a course in some areas to be on B roads and unclassified roads. Indeed there is an entire series of competitions, known as SPOCO (sporting courses) which deliberately avoid including fast A roads whenever possible. Rudy project series too is often on minor roads. Time trialling is not 'hairy', as if it were, I certainly wouldn't be doing any!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Well I'm not up to chris Boardmans standards just yet.

Maybe if I dropped 4 stone, took a course of steroids, rewound time and trained constantly for the last 20 Years or was actually reincarnated as Chris Boardman...................................

Even then, no chance :biggrin: :biggrin:

wafflycat

Sadly, says she looking at her own frame (bike & self), I know where you're coming from!
19.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sporting courses - they are all sporting courses in Cheshire.....no drag strips.

I've done a few team TT's and they are hard work, and not sometimes as fast as doing it on your own - depends upon how closely matched you are, and also if it's a bit of fun.

Top Bottom