25mm tubes in 28mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Getting a new bike with 28mm tyres and have a load of of 18-25mm tubes. The bigger tubes seem to be 28-35 which i think will be harder to fit into the space available

So will I be ok using 18-25 tubes in a 28mm tyre?

Jay

Red17

Veteran
I've been doing that for a year or so with no problems.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If/when you get round to new tubes, I'd recommend the Conti Tour 28-37mm. Definitely not too big for 28mm tyres (been using them on the Trek for over a decade, no problems), and obviously dead right for 35mms (Tripster ATR).

Ajax Bay

Guru
But carrying two 28-37mm spare tubes has been a decade+ long drag, no? 18-25s have been fine for me on 28-622 tyres: easier to install. What is the downside: who thinks they will not stretch and still be way inside their elastic (diameter) limit?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
But carrying two 28-37mm spare tubes has been a decade+ long drag, no? 18-25s have been fine for me on 28-622 tyres: easier to install. What is the downside: who thinks they will not stretch and still be way inside their elastic (diameter) limit?
Yes, they'll stretch a bit and be fine. But you're not running 35mms on those 18-25mm tubes. There's undoubtedly a limit about how far you can go without risking failure or having to pump them up every ride- as to where that limit is, pass. If I try 40mm tyres on my Tripster, my tubes will be fine. Perhaps even 45mm tyres. But I wouldn't want to risk 18-25mm tubes (of which I too have a few) on anything 35mm or larger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom