26" full-sus VS 29" HT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickB

professional procrastinator
OK, I know everyone's opinion will be different here but will there any real discernible speed difference between a top flight XC 26" full sus with 140mm travel each end compared to an average spec 29er Hardtail?

Both will weigh about the same.

Paying about 500-600 second hand.

Originally fancied a 29er but I've been offered a 26" that cost about £2500 new quite a few years back but has top components all over and barely used.

Looking at using it for the odd blast around a trail park but also for longer XC runs/events. Not for racing, but I like to be as efficient as possible but also value comfort maybe more so! Have used full suss before and loved not getting a kicking up the backside, compared to previous 26" hardtails, but then people say a 29er is much smoother compared to small wheeled hardtails.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go for the older bargain 26" bike. You'll have just as much fun.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends on the terrain, weather, and rider. No authoritative answer to your question I'm afraid.

I'd be inclined to take the 26er you describe very seriously if its a lightly used high end machine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
29ers look massive to me, not at all "chuckable" just cumbersome. Don't see the appeal other than the fact bigger wheels don't drop so deep into potholes. Bigger wheels also mean more inertia when it comes to acceleration. I think adult bike design over the last 100 years has gravitated to a 26"-27" diameter wheel for the very good reason that they offer a good practical compromise between strength, weight, comfort, and acceleration.

screenman

Legendary Member
My 29er had more outings last year than the other 6 bikes put together, it is pure fun and I just love the way it rides and handles. Great fun on single track or bridleways.

OP
OP
RickB

RickB

professional procrastinator
Thanks guys for the replies.

I think if it boils down to fun the 26" will be well worth it.

The more I think about it we don't have bridleways over here and very few long distance xc events to exploit the 29ers abilities to the fullest so I'll not worry too much about it and just go for the full suss comfort if the bike suits me alright.

screenman

Legendary Member
My mate does not like the way 29ers ride, he has never been on one, odd how he seems to have some knowledge about the way they handle despite that small point.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've owned one and agree, but its largely a preference thing anyway.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Any chance you can get a ride on both before you decide? The proof, they say , is written on the label.

Top Bottom