26"tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fonsde54

I cant decide which tyres to buy.

I want a pair of 26" tyres. Its my feeling that the bigger the width the more durable and puncture resistant the tyres are.

I am cycling about 5 miles daily on the road, but so far I had punctures once every month

I am thinking the continental city ride II , the city jet and the marathon plus.
But cant decide cause i am tight on my budget as well. Do the marathon plus really worth it? will i be able to fit them myself?

or should i go for city jets 1.90? or the city ride II 1.75?

any suggestions welcome.
thnx

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi, can tell you about Marathons and City Jets. I don't think wider does necessary mean less punctures, just a bit more comfort on our potholed roads - others more knowledgeable will confirm this ... or not ^_^
Anyway, I have fitted both the marathons and the city jets myself, and I'm a :girldance:so you probably can too.
Don't forget you get less punctures when your tyres are properly inflated - values can be found on the sidewall, a track pump is essential, check tyres for pressure and embedded debris at least once a week.
I do this most days, as I commute.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
to be on the safe side check your rim tape. sometimes a run of unexplained or inexplicable punctures are caused by the spokes/spoke nipples wrecking the tubes.

Ern1e

Über Member
The only thing I will add to @Pat "5mph" post would be if you need more speed go for the thinner ones or comfort wider but slower ! and as to fitting them just take your time use a little water with a spot of washing up liquid ! this will help things slide into place whilst inflating them,also the advice by @GrumpyGregry is also a must do item.Hope this helps you out a little and just to chuck the spanner in I would fit schwalbes personaly !!!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Marathon Plus ....not one puncture ..............[now what will happen...haha]

they had slowly gone down to 60psi - back up to 85psi yesterday [their rating] and the decreased rolling resistance was noticeable

Wester

Guru
City jets are simply the best and are also pretty cheap

Top Bottom