26in mountain bike tyre recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm after some suggestions on what tyres to go for, the choice is just so overwhelming!

I used to run high rollers which were great, but I can't justify spending £50 on a tyre.

I'm mainly riding XC these days on a mix of old railway line, road, cobbles, wet cobbles, wet and muddy cobbles and muddy peat and poor condition wet muddy cobbles down a big hill!

anything that's good for an all-rounder without breaking the bank?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unless you need the extra grip in muddy conditions Schwalbe Marathons cover most bases. Was going to suggest Nobby Nics but almost as expensive as High Rollers.
Decathlon have some good budget options but maybe not too puncture resistant.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Marathons! On an MTB, give me a break.

I still run 26" and the last rear tyre I bought is just awesome, a Michelin wild Rock'r. Some reviews are not exactly positive but in my experience it works and works well, Not massively expensive when I bought it (I am a bit tight!).

Drago

Legendary Member
Just to be clear - do you really mean XC, which is a racing discipline, or do you actually mean trail riding? The ideal tyre for each would be quite different.

D

Deleted member 23692

Seconded. And unless they have shot up in price, like most bike stuff recently, nowhere near £50 a tyre, got a pair for my bike before Christmas for about £50 the pair.
Nobbys come in a wide range of flavours from boggo (but still good) rubber with wire beards to exotic compound folders
Just to be clear - do you really mean XC, which is a racing discipline, or do you actually mean trail riding? The ideal tyre for each would be quite different.
XC is a type of bike too , as is downhill, free ride, dirt , slopestyle and enduro etc. They are also competitive disciplines for which that particular style of bike with its particular geometry, suspension travel and componentry choice is best suited.

I hope no-one ever wants help buying a 'down country' bike on this forum :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

I like Schwalbe Smart Sam as a good all round tyre

potsy

Rambler
Marathons! On an MTB, give me a break.

I still run 26" and the last rear tyre I bought is just awesome, a Michelin wild Rock'r. Some reviews are not exactly positive but in my experience it works and works well, Not massively expensive when I bought it (I am a bit tight!).
I have the full flavour Marathons on mine not those airy fairy green guards!
Not let me down in over 5 years :whistle:

Top Bottom