26tpi bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah google is wide of the mark, it won't fit.
Couple of options on that old Raleigh thread.
  • Re-use the old cups (they are virtually indestructible, the steel is such high quality) and fit a compatible shaft with new bearings (I did this on my recent project SA 3spd Raleigh when I swapped cranks from a Steel cottered to an Aluminium square taper)
  • Buy a Phil Wood BB in 26 tpi (but organise the mortgage first)
  • Have the BB shell retapped to 24tpi.
I chose the top one cos it's cheapest but I've got a few spare shafts and know of a bike shop that has a drawer full of various length shafts that he'll let me rootle around in to find the right one.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Thank you @raleighnut
That's exactly the info I was looking for.
I'm looking to junk the cottered spindle and replace with square taper so I can fit a Stronglight chainset.
The original spindle is 125mm long and the BB shell is 70mm long. Is this all the info required?
As you say, the old cups and BB threads are fine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you @raleighnut
That's exactly the info I was looking for.
I'm looking to junk the cottered spindle and replace with square taper so I can fit a Stronglight chainset.
The original spindle is 125mm long and the BB shell is 70mm long. Is this all the info required?
As you say, the old cups and BB threads are fine.
That was what I fitted onto the Raleigh 3spd.

DSCN0040.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bottom-...ttom-bracket-for-frames-with-damaged-threads/

You just bolt them across the bottom bracket and it doesn't use the threads..... Marmite option, I'd rather use the proper threads with cups.

Shaun

i have used a couple of these and they work fine

midlife

Guru
i have used a couple of these and they work fine

And therein lies the rub to misquote Shakespeare lol, lots of people have found them dead easy and some end up having to Locktite them in.

The problem for me giving advice on them is that I'm from the 70's and BITD you had to chamfer the BB shell and some others were not very well made.

Maybe the more modern ones are a lot better :smile:

Shaun

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And therein lies the rub to misquote Shakespeare lol, lots of people have found them dead easy and some end up having to Locktite them in.

The problem for me giving advice on them is that I'm from the 70's and BITD you had to chamfer the BB shell and some others were not very well made.

Maybe the more modern ones are a lot better :smile:

Shaun

cups and cones are better and easier to service for sure and are more in keeping on the older style bikes

True dat, as "the kids" say; once modern cartridges become obsolete then everyone will go back to cup and come (if the rest of the modern bike lasts that is - damned throwaway society)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
True dat, as "the kids" say; once modern cartridges become obsolete then everyone will go back to cup and come (if the rest of the modern bike lasts that is - damned throwaway society)
Better set-up anyway, it's just a shame that the majority of shafts are made of cheese these days. The older ones seem to last forever though (as long as you service/grease them regularly)

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Moving on a bit........
I've sourced a new BB spindle, and bought a Stronglight chainset via EBay.
Now I have an issue with the chainset.
When it arrived I noticed that the LH pedal thread is stripped for half of the length of thread, in the LH crank. I brought this to the attention of the vendor, who immediately apologised, refunded my money and told me to keep the item.
After a bit of research I find that I can buy a helicoil kit to rescue the damaged crank, although the kit would be more expensive than to source another s/h chainset.
So - would it be likely that my LBS would have the kit to do this job?
Anyone on here with the kit to do this job for the appropriate amount of beer tokens?

Top Bottom