26x2.10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Evening,

I posted a while back about getting some new tyres for my hybrid (at the moment it's got the standard knobblies and they're not great), I was told to find out the size and buy the tyres I liked the most (Schwalbe Marathons), but they only go up to 26x2.00. Will these fit, even though they're 0.10 out?

Also, will I need new inner tubes? I don't know much about tyres and I have no idea on how to fit them either.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The 26 is the important number.

Most 26" wheel bikes will take down to 1.5" easily enough so they should fit fine. If you are looking at riding on roads you may want to go a bit narrower than 2" as the tyres will be lighter and can hold a higher pressure.

Steve H

Large Member
Yes - mcshroom is spot on here. Most mountain bikes and hybrids have 26" wheels and they can take a variety of tyre widths. When I first got my mountain bike it had 26"X2.3 knobbly tyres on. When I'm riding it on the road though I normally swap the tyres for 26"X1.5 semi-slicks. This provides a smoother, faster ride. Back on with the big knobblies though if I go offroading.

Inner tubes are much the same - they come in a variety of sizes. Start by looking for the 26" number, then get a width that fits your tyre choice. Inner tubes fit a range of widths, so you need to choose an inner tube that is appropriate for your tyre width. They normally say something like 26"X1.75 - 2.2. This means it will fit any tyre width from 1.75" up to 2.2".

Zoiders

I run 1.25 tyres on a MTB rim with no problems.

You can run slicks that are much larger like 2 inch Big Apples by Schwalbe and as long as you keep the pressure up the fatter tyres will roll just as well as the thinner ones.

Larger tyres will take the pressure.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Be aware that there are about 4 different sizes of 26" tyre. You can use any where the size is expressed as a decimal, but not those where the size is expressed as a fraction.
26 x 1.5 is NOT the same as 26 x 1½

If you want to be sure, check that the ISO size is xx-559

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You can run slicks that are much larger like 2 inch Big Apples by Schwalbe and as long as you keep the pressure up the fatter tyres will roll just as well as the thinner ones.

Larger tyres will take the pressure.

Actually a large balloon tyre, such as Schwalbe's Big Apple, is designed to be run at low pressure to provide pneumatic shock absorption. For example their 26x2.0 is designed to go as low as 2 bar (30 psi), and the 26x2.35 as low as 1.5 bar (22 psi).

As mcshroom said, it is the skinny slicks that are designed to hold and run at high pressure. A good example is Conti's Sport Contact 26x1.3, it is nearly half the weight of the Big Apple despite having decent puncture resistance, and is designed to run at 80 psi.

Tyre selection should be horses for courses. For rough uneven terrains large tyres at low pressure will provide not only superior comfort but actually lower rolling resistance since the large volume of air at low pressure enables bike and rider to glide over the undulation without converting it into vertical motion and horizontal resistance while maintaining good traction. This is why many mtb riders go tubeless (via UST, Stans, ghetto etc.), not really for weight reduction, but to enable tyre pressure to go really low without having to worry about pinch flats.

This scientific assessment provides some interesting instructive results and explanations.

For smooth fast roads, as we all know the opposite is true - light, skinny high pressure slicks provide the lowest rolling inertia and rolling resistance. One should however try to ensure the tyre is suitably wider than the rim as suggested by Sheldon at the bottom of this page. Some mtb rims, such as Mavic's EX729, are too wide for narrow slicks.

If one runs a large tyre such as the Schwalbe Big Apple at high pressure, one is getting the worst of both worlds, i.e. poor pneumatic suspension while spinning an unnecessary mass of rubber. If one runs skinny tyres at low pressure, then one would be susceptible to pinch flats and even rim damage.

Zoiders

Large volume slicks at high pressure offer impact protection against pot holes and the like and traction in corners.<BR><BR>Pneumatic suspension is not so much the point with the big apple and they roll just fine, tyre weight comparison is a poor argument with a tyre with it's intended use. <BR><BR>They aren't "designed" to run at low pressure at all it's just incidental that they will because they have volume like an XC tyre.<BR><BR>

Norm

If you are riding on the road, just get Schwalbe City Jets in 26x1.5 and leave the others to their worrying about volume against pressure. :biggrin:

Most folk in the industry - including those who work in bike shops - don't use ISO or ETRTO. Stick with calling them 26 x 'whatever'.

26" refers to the (nominal*) diameter of the tyre, the 'x' number describes the width or section.

If it's got fractions 26 x 1 1/2", 1 1/4", 1 1/8" etc it's Euro/ Brit Imperial of the kind fitted to Raleigh 3 spd roadsters and butchers bikes. Mostly obselete now as with 27" x.

If it's 26 x 2.125", 2.1", 1.9", 1.75", 1.5", 1.35", 1.25", 1.1" &c" its American Imperial, a standard introduced by Frank W Schwinn in 1933. His baloon tyres cruisers were the grand daddys of todays mountain bikes.

It's just easier, if you know that your tyre/rim standard is MTB derived, to call it by it's cross section.

(* Frank W's tyre was 26 x 1.125" outside diameter when inflated on a wheel, which is why if you're looking for '26 inches' as a measurement anywhere on your 26 x 1.5 tyres/wheels you won't find it).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a set of 26x2.1 Continental City Contacts (THESE) and when inflated to 60-65psi they roll brilliantly. In fact, even though I used them on my MTB with front suspension I still haven't matched the commute times I set on them last summer even though I am now using a dedicated hybrid commute bike with narrower road tyres (maybe the sunshine helps?). Don't be put off by the 'thinner is faster' arguement, these tyres are fast and fat enough to allow you to hammer down flights of steps and other similar thuggish behaviour without worrying. Also the theory that a heavier tyre is slower is only true if you are continually stop-starting, once rolling it is no harder to keep a heavy tyre moving than a skinny one.

EDIT: also, if it bothers you, your MTB will still look like a well proportioned MTB with the fatter tyre rather than an awkward teenager at a swingers party!!!

Norm

EDIT: also, if it bothers you, your MTB will still look like a well proportioned MTB with the fatter tyre rather than an awkward teenager at a swingers party!!!
This is the reason my 26x1.5s lasted but a few days on my MTB.

th_09102009047.jpg

(Please ignore the saddle height and angle and the lights, I was also playing with various other bits when I tried those tyres!)

The tyres just didn't look right from any angle...
th_09102009050.jpg

... and they had to go.

They went onto my 20-year old steel rigid MTB and they instantly transformed it into a city-eating commuting beastie.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is the reason my 26x1.5s lasted but a few days on my MTB.

th_09102009047.jpg

OK Norm, you have shown me yours, now let me show you mine.......

zaskar.jpg

Been to any good parties lately? :eek: :stop: :rolleyes: :becool:

Top Bottom