27 1 4" / 700c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Thanks for all the advice guys and I'll get back to you with what happens.

JabeSmith

I'd be really interested in how easy it was to upgrade from 27" wheels to 700c. I've got a circa-1984 Raleigh with 531 main tubes and forks, and had a disaster the other weekend when my rear mech literally snapped in two when changing up the gears. I can get second hand replacement rear mech for a 5/6 speed but am wondering whether to invest in a total modernisation programme. My biggest worry is extending my stays from their current 120mm to the required 130mm but am really nervous about the idea of bending them - have seen Sheldon Brown's guide on how to, but what if it goes horribly wrong and my lovely 531 frame is permanently knackered.......!

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

I've now found a pair of wheels that fit - actually had them knocking about in my shed! SS wheels. Spacing is correct and everything! So got them for free.
Only thing is, ATM, they've got quite thick mountain bike style tyres on. I want to take them off a fit something thinner and more for road riding. How do I know how thinner tyres I can put on?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'd be really interested in how easy it was to upgrade from 27" wheels to 700c. I've got a circa-1984 Raleigh with 531 main tubes and forks, and had a disaster the other weekend when my rear mech literally snapped in two when changing up the gears. I can get second hand replacement rear mech for a 5/6 speed but am wondering whether to invest in a total modernisation programme.

I did this with my similar vintage Raleigh Royal. Went from 5spd freewheel on 27" wheels to 9spd cassette on 700C wheels with Tiagra STI shifters.

As mentioned earlier, the only other change needed was to fit deep-drop brake calipers for the slightly smaller diameter wheels.

My biggest worry is extending my stays from their current 120mm to the required 130mm but am really nervous about the idea of bending them - have seen Sheldon Brown's guide on how to, but what if it goes horribly wrong and my lovely 531 frame is permanently knackered.......!

I didn't have to do this with my Royal but I've heard of enough people doing if successfully that I wouldn't be too concerned. AIUI, 5mm on each stay really isn't all that much of a stretch for a steel frame - at a total guess, they probably flex by that much anyway in normal use.

Tim Hall

If you're worried about spreading the frame by 5mm each side, think of it as less than a quarter of an inch, then it'll seem much smaller.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Hang on guys. If the O.L.D of the rear is 130mm on my project, could I get away with buying these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREKKING-...ure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d418ac1b8?

The O.L.D of those on the rear is 110m, but they're perfect. So the frame would have to shrink down 1cm on either side. Seems possible?

Tim Hall

I'd put a spacer on either side of the wheel rather than set the frame. Hold cone with cone spanner, undo lock nut, add spacer, replace lock nut, tighten. Repeat for other side.

Tim Hall

It's what I did (although I got me wheels for free). Go for it.

(the management accept no liability. Shares can go down as well as up. Past performance is no indication of future predictions)

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

To be fair, if the frame squeezing is unsuccesful, I'll just take it to the LBS and let them do the spacing! (Don't trust myself!)

Tim Hall

Yes. But I thought you found a pair of wheels in the shed. And are you sure the dropouts are 130mm? Seems a bit wide for an old bike. 126mm is more likely.

Top Bottom