27.5 or 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogshead62

I'm new to this site so apologies if this thread has been done b4 27.5 or 29er I'm swaying to the 29er use will be trail rides on road (commute to work) not to much rough stuff.

outlash

also available in orange
If it's a commute without not too much 'proper' off road, what about a CX/GravelAdventure bike? I'd be certain it'd be quicker than a MTB and can easily deal with trails.

Kajjal

Guru
As a very rough guide 27.5 bikes are more maneuverable but you get beaten up by the trail. 29er are smoother rolling but a little less maneuverable. In reality there is not a massive difference and some 27.5 bikes with slacker angles handle like barges.

My diverge is alot faster on road or smoother, less twisty trails than my xc mountain bike. As it gets rougher and needs more bike handling the xc mountain bike is a lot faster.

Drago

Legendary Member
Try them and see. There's so little in it that like-for-like you need to be quite a sensitive rider to really feel the difference. As Outlash says, a CX bike - or one of the very similar derivatives under one of dozens of different names - might be just what the Doctor ordered.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My diverge is alot faster on road or smoother, less twisty trails than my xc mountain bike. As it gets rougher and needs more bike handling the xc mountain bike is a lot faster.
Is that the bike or you though? i.e. if you had never ridden your xc bike do you think you'd really be slower on the diverge?

Kajjal

Guru
Is that the bike or you though? i.e. if you had never ridden your xc bike do you think you'd really be slower on the diverge?

Yes, the diverge will go over rougher trails but it beats you up like an early 1990's rigid hardtail mountain bike. The xc bike has bigger tyres, front suspension, wider bars so handles more severe trails better. Both great bikes to ride.

U

User482

I'm still on a 26" wheel. I had a 29er on hire when my bike was being repaired - it was a Scott full susser worth about £2k, so a decent spec. I didn't like it much, it felt heavy and ponderous, though it did descend very well on rocky downhills, tracking a line better than my bike. But as others have said, for your commute I'd go for a CX bike.

Top Bottom