27.5 or 29er???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Never ridden a 27.5 but there are noticeable differences between 26 & 29, my 29 rolls far better than the 26, but the 26 is infinitely more manoeuvrable so to me it depends on what you are going to be doing with it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never ridden a 27.5 but there are noticeable differences between 26 & 29, my 29 rolls far better than the 26, but the 26 is infinitely more manoeuvrable so to me it depends on what you are going to be doing with it.

Exactly that, t'is why I keep all flavours in stock and don't simply restrict myself to one compromise.

johnblack

Über Member
I did all my winter training on a 29er last year instead of the winter roadie, would never have done that on a 26. Gave me a chance to do far more varied riding and the trade off on-road was far less. But if I was doing a lot of very technical stuff, a 26 would be useful.

I go to a Friday night MTB race series and they nearly all ride 29ers now.

Cavalol

Guru
Not sure how others have found them, but got a few PBs on Strava on my 29er without even trying and carded better times going to work and back then on a road bike.

I'm relatively new to MTB'ing but my limited experience is as follows:

I have a 26er MTB I've owned since 1999 but only ridden off-road occasionally, so it is still in excellent condition. Anyway, it is waaay slower over my typical 50km trail route with circa 500-800m of climbing than my 29er. There is zero chance I'd race it but for the odd fun ride, it's ok. Lovely for learning skills on shorter rides.

I've ridden 27.5+ and found I preferred that on more technical Enduro trails and downhill. More stable, for me. However, my 29er feels faster for XC.
I have an eMTB for fun too, it is more an Enduro bike set up with 160mm travel and has a 29er front and 27.5+ rear - that is a great combo for that type of riding.

Overall, I prefer 29er's but then I am biased towards XC racing.

Gunk

Guru
Well these new 29ers have wider rims and slacker head angles.
They look so much better and ride better than early offerings, better bikes.
I love my new 29 and have sold most of my 27.5 bikes.

You dont catch your shoe on the front wheel anymore and a 29 goes over rough ground so much better.

Ride a few then get a 29

I’m old school. It has to be a 26’er :becool:

Top Bottom