27.5 versus 29er mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Test ride, make your own mind up. The following posts will contain buzz words like "speed" "science" "marketing" "geometry" and "gimmick"

None of which are better than test riding.

OP
OP
han168

han168

What do you like between the 2 wheels? Right now, I think the 27.5 would be great. On monday when I disembark, I will definitely try both of them.

OP
OP
han168

han168

I have a road bike before and climbing is really not easy. So I am thinking riding a 700cx40 wil be the same effort. So, right now I am thinking of Giant ATX 27.5 instead of Giant Roam. What do you think?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Climbing really won't get easier on a MTB regardless of wheel size. What may happen is you end up spinning a much smaller gear and spending longer on the climb than you would have before.

OP
OP
han168

han168

What do you think should I go for? Roam or ATX?
Climbing really won't get easier on a MTB regardless of wheel size. What may happen is you end up spinning a much smaller gear and spending longer on the climb than you would have before.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Do test ride both. I love my 29er but find tight turns on those wheels rather fiddly! (or maybe I'm just a rubbish rider lol).
Either way, it's such a personal thing - try both and see what you think!

Slioch

Guru
There have been a number of previous threads on this forum discussing the pros & cons of the different wheel sizes, so it might be worthwhile doing a search for these as there's a lot of great comments. Some people think 29'ers are the best thing ever, some think they are the work of the devil, and some think it is a load of marketing bo**ox.
Me personally, if I was upgrading my 26'er I would consider a 27.5 but wouldn't touch a 29'er. That's just down to personal preference and prejudice.

As T.M.H.N.E.T. says, test ride is the best way to make your own judgement.

D

Deleted member 23692

It looks like 27.5+ will be the next big thing - wider 27.5 rims running 3" tyres which gives an overall wheel diameter equal to that of a 29" wheel.

And to make all this happen the industry 'needs' to introduce a whole raft of wider parts - tyres, forks, frames, hubs, BB's and crank sets etc.

Top Bottom