27.5 versus 29er mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I found 29" wheels a bit cumbersome for my liking but I really like the 27.5. The manoeuvrability is still there, all be it slightly less than a 26" wheel, and they roll over stuff better than a 26". There is a trade off between one and the other so a test ride is the only way to know which size is for you.

Motozulu

Über Member
This is such a personal choice subject that there really is no 'correct' or 'wrong' answer. Mrbikerboy is spot on - you have to decide for yourself, neither is 'better' than the other, but you may prefer one to the other - not the same thing at all.

e-rider

crappy member
if you are tall and ride a large frame you will be good on either 27.5 or 29"
however, if you are short with little legs and a small frame size then 27.5 is the way to go as a 29er will just be too large
26" wheels are rubbish - I thought that back in 1992

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not such a fan of 29ers meself, and after s brief foray with a Carve went back to a 26. All mine are still 26, although I'm building a 650B at the moment with a recently acquired Pace frame.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
At the recent Specialized demo day over Cannock they had a Stumpjumper with 6-fatties on. I don't know if its going to be the next big thing, but it did look good.

I think it could well be my next wheel size

psychopomp1

The new standard is plus size bikes. Everything else is now obsolete and should be retired.
+99999999999
Currently in Chile and just bought a Trek Stache 9 29+ for £2.3k (2.8k in blighty). Its like riding a motorbike but with the agility of a mountain bike :smile: I don't think i will ever ride a standard mountain bike again. It came with 29" wheels, however they can be swapped with 27.5". Oh and it looks so damn sexy :smile:

Top Bottom