27" / 700c?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

hubgearfreak;41371][QUOTE=bonj said:
maybe? it did say 27" x 1.25". My wheel* is 700c x 23. It was still massively too long though, rather than too wide to fit in the tyre.

there's the problem then.
1 1/4 is around 32mm, not 23, which is the size of your tyre*[/quote]
but if the tube was far too big for my wheel, which it was, why does it matter how big my tyre is??
So what do I quote the size of my wheel as, if it takes 700c x 23 tyres?
What I mean is, if my tyre had been twice as fat the tube still wouldn't have fit because the tube was the wrong diameter for my wheel.
So should the tube be chosen according to the size of the wheel or the size of the tyre? I think I'm even more confused now...

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj (and noodly), sorry for my sarcastic comment earlier. i really am trying to help you understand.;)

bonj said:
What I mean is, if my tyre had been twice as fat the tube still wouldn't have fit because the tube was the wrong diameter for my wheel.

it would have, because you'd have pushed the tube up behind the tread
and the overall diameter (and circumference) of the tread is considerably bigger with just a small increase in tyre width...see my previous answer repeated below.

hubgearfreak said:
the nominal outer diameter of your tyre is 622 + 23 +23 = 668
whereas the nominal outer diameter of a 27 x 1 1/4 is 630 + 32 + 32 = 694

had you been fitting it to the correct width tyre for that tube, ie 32x622 then the nominal outer diameter would be 686

the 8mm difference between 622 & 630 isn't enough to worry about, but 26mm in diameter equals about 3 1/2 inches in circumference and hence the length of the tube...do you get me?:sad:
is 3 inches how much too long it was?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
it would have, because you'd have pushed the tube up behind the tread
and the overall diameter (and circumference) of the tread is considerably bigger with just a small increase in tyre width...see my previous answer repeated below.
hmmm... it still seems like it was too big for the rim, but i see what you're saying.

hubgearfreak said:
the nominal outer diameter of your tyre is 622 + 23 +23 = 668
whereas the nominal outer diameter of a 27 x 1 1/4 is 630 + 32 + 32 = 694

had you been fitting it to the correct width tyre for that tube, ie 32x622 then the nominal outer diameter would be 686

the 8mm difference between 622 & 630 isn't enough to worry about, but 26mm in diameter equals about 3 1/2 inches in circumference and hence the length of the tube...do you get me?;)
is 3 inches how much too long it was?

about that, yes.

Top Bottom