27" rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know where I can get some decent double wall 27" alloy hoops from? I've got a couple of pairs of wheels that deserve a bit of love so I thought I might rim them (stands back and waits for the ribald, double entendre comments). SJS do a couple of single-walled, which would do if I had no other choice, but being a larger gentleman, I thought stronger the better really.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Does anyone know where I can get some decent double wall 27" alloy hoops from? I've got a couple of pairs of wheels that deserve a bit of love so I thought I might rim them (stands back and waits for the ribald, double entendre comments). SJS do a couple of single-walled, which would do if I had no other choice, but being a larger gentleman, I thought stronger the better really.
TBH I'd sooner have single wall rims as long as they're 36 spoke.

EDIT- and 'eyeletted' spoke holes.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
TBH I'd sooner have single wall rims as long as they're 36 spoke.

EDIT- and 'eyeletted' spoke holes.
Explain? Obviously I was just looking at it from a strength pov! I'm pretty sure they're both 36, I'd be quite surprised to see anything other than 72 spokes across both wheels (one way or another) given their age

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't like 'chambered' rims, more specifically I don't like the way they fill up with water that sloshes about and needs the tyre/tube removing to get it out.
I don't find them any stronger either.

Between being comprehensively rebuilt in about 87/88 and somewhere around 99/2000 this was my only bike (And my only transport)

DSCN0110.JPG

I covered over 6,000 miles a year on it for over 10yrs on the same wheels and they're still good (mind you they're handbuilt on Weinmann large flange hubs and the rear is a 4 cross lacing)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't like 'chambered' rims, more specifically I don't like the way they fill up with water that sloshes about and needs the tyre/tube removing to get it out.
I don't find them any stronger either.

I have to say I have never encountered that problem, even after spending all day riding in the rain.

On the other hand, were 27" rims ever produced in box-section?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have to say I have never encountered that problem, even after spending all day riding in the rain.

On the other hand, were 27" rims ever produced in box-section?
Some of my wheels are worse than others for water, deep puddles/flooded sections exacerbate the problem as does having to chain your bike up outside at work all day in the rain.

As for chambered rims in 27" maybe the fashion for them came in as 700c took over and companies started only extruding box section ones (needed for low spoke count wheels)

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Have a look at complete new wheels from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACER-ROA...hash=item2f0a8b34d1:m:mBY1FmdYbFRsx5LbhFHcA5g

cant vouch for either as i am still eating my way through a whole load of 27" alloy rims i bought ages ago

I've bought a pair of these a couple of years ago for my daughters bike. They have been absolutely fine, she is however a very slim 23 year old!
Even so I haven't had to true them or adjust bearings etc.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Move to southern France and puddle problem solved.....mind you by the look of that seat post you must be a big bloke, you'd terrify the locals .
Nah I'm only 6' (well 5'-11 1/2" now as I've shrunk now I'm older) but I've got long legs, one thing I can't believe is the gearing I used to be able to push,

DSCN0111.JPG

I reckon that's a 21 lowest gear with a 42 chainring.:eek:

Top Bottom