27 x 1 1/4 alloy front wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Does anyone have a (cheap) 27 x 1 or 27 x 1.25 front wheel that is surplus to requirements?

Can collect if within 25 miles of Worcester. Many thanks

gingerwizard

Would a 700c mavic GP4 wheel do ya??;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've got a pair (front & rear) of rather nice 27 x 1-1/4
Rims are a "westrick" pattern, a sort of convex section running down the middle. Maillard hubs IIRC (too cold to go to garage & check). Even got tan wall tyres & tubes.

One of those many items that's cluttering my garage and I've not gotten around to putting on ebay yet. Let me know if you are interested and I will take some pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
wheels

Thanks Pete, what are you looking at for them? And are you near enough for me to be able to collect? The current rear one (I got the frame, rear cyclo mech and one wheel! is a 27 x 1 1/4 weinmann, which is probably late 60s, (And which is, I am pretty sure, Westrick pattern). It has a cyclo 4 speed block firmly glued to it, so I will stick with alloy for this one.

My 49 Clubman has original Dunlop alloys, although I think shortages forced a lot of wheelbuilders to switch to stainless or chtomes steel in the early 50s, depending on which metals were available.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you TheDoctor. I have got two 27 by 1/4 alloy wheels, but unfortunately for Porteous they are part of my bicycle - a circa 1980 Coventry Eagle. Now I know where to get spare ones from.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Problem solved!

Guys;
Very many thanks for the help and advice. I came across a pair of new wheels this morning from Parkers of Bolton (last pair they had) at £34.99, so have ordered them.

I am actually building up a rather rare frame (Rudge Pathfinder Mk III set up for 4 speed cyclo derailleur, not SA hub). The long and the short of it is that I am actually looking for a SA hub Pathfinder, but not willing to butcher a rare frame to get one. I will, therefore, rebuild this with a 1970s double chainsit and the wrong wheels, with a cyclo front rod change and cyclo rear mech, and enjoy riding it while I wait for the elusive Pathfinder/SA frame to recreate by boyhood bike.

Very grateful to prkypete for his kind offer, and to Speicher and TheDoctor for the good advice.

Top Bottom