28 April: Sunday ride to Brooklands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
So would it be easier if we ran this as a straight out and back ride and stored for some food at one of the pubs on the Riverside?
We can still have a play on the banking in the park. There's a short section preserved, and I'll go to the museum on my own some other time.

rb58

Enigma
So would it be easier if we ran this as a straight out and back ride and stored for some food at one of the pubs on the Riverside?
We can still have a play on the banking in the park. There's a short section preserved, and I'll go to the museum on my own some other time.
I'd leave it as it is. Those that want to stay and play can do so, those that need to get back can do that too. That fits with the normal format whereby the ride breaks up after we've arrived at our remote destination.

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
Sounds sensible to me. Both routes are quite different, so if you can, I would recommend riding both ways.

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
Weather looks OK for tomorrow. Remember £2 for the ferry. Please bring spare inner tubes.
If you're staying for the museum it's cheaper to buy the tickets in advance online.
Bring a decent lock as well.
Might be worth having lights for the return journey as well.

See you all tomorrow!

Have a great ride folks.

May have come if I'd realised there wouldn't necessarily be a big gap for possible museum visit. Imho visits to museums etc not a good idea on group rides as folk have widely different views on how long they want to spend in them.

rb58

Enigma
What a most excellent ride. And a nice tight group of just five of us meant we made good progress. Thanks @AlexB for organising. Nice route, and I loved the ferry ride - that's another Thames crossing ticked off my list! After I left you I had a decent tailwind for most of the way home, so was back indoors at around 3pm. Excellent!

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
Have a great ride folks.

May have come if I'd realised there wouldn't necessarily be a big gap for possible museum visit. Imho visits to museums etc not a good idea on group rides as folk have widely different views on how long they want to spend in them.

You're right and I hadn't really thought it through in the end we visited the banking and then turned around and rode home. The stop for did and the scenic Thameside route meant I didn't get home until after 7pm, but it was a great ride, so thanks Jenny, Greg, Lauren and Ross for your company. The rain held off, it wasn't too cold and we even had a sneaky pint by the river.

jennyh

There will be a few people from work who want to join, including one pair who seem to only want to join the return leg!
So, we won't be billy no mates-ing our way out of town.

The two routes I was planning on taking are variants on the same theme.

From Albert Memorial we would head along Fulham Road, cross Putney Bridge and then make our way to Richmond Park, from there we’d take a diversion through Teddington, across the river by the lock and then through Bushey Park. After a short ride along the river we’ll take a ferry across (£2 per person and bike), follow the Thames Path for a bit and work our way through Molesey avoiding Walton on Thames and Weybridge before turning off to Brooklands Road and making our way to the Museum.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/99035

Edited to add that museum entry cost £16, although it's cheaper online bought in advance.

The return route will be much more of a bimble along the Thames, deliberately avoiding main roads as much as possible, but once again crossing Richmond Park and then making our way past Barnes Wetland centre along the river to Putney before crossing the bridge and heading East towards the Museum. I’ll abandon everyone close to Albert Bridge, but will be expecting people to be making their way home from there.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89833

We are aiming to arrive at the Brooklands Museum in time for lunch.
Leaving at about 5pm for the return journey.

There are a few places we can stop for a loo break.
Remember to bring some food and drinks, bring a spare inner tube or two and don’t forget £2 for the ferry crossing.

This is as a social ride amongst friends. It’s not an “organised ride” so you are responsible for your own safety.
We won’t leave anyone behind, but please make sure your bike is in good working order.

I’ve ridden these routes a few times and it’s all perfectly fine on a road bike on 700 x28c and just as much fun on a mountain bike with slick 26” tyres.
Thanks for a great day today! :smile:

sagefly

Veteran
Absolutely great ride and route out and back, and blessed by the rain gods. Thanks @AlexB send me your details and I'll emai lthe storm trooper pic

Top Bottom