29er Off Road Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I have an old Matrix hybrid / hardtail 29er thing (yes, fit adjustments have been made since this picture) which is in need of some new boots :

IMG-20130722-00479_zpsa895e3aa.jpg

In short, I'd like some of the cheapest, nastiest off road 29er tyres I can get for muddy, wet and treacherous conditions. I have Scwalbe Hurricanes on at the moment as I used to ride on road but since getting a road bike I want to have some fun with this.

Ideally the cheapest solution which will give me decent grip in mud and on waterlogged grass as opposed to the 'barely nothing' provided by my current tyres. I appologise for my apparent lack of research but I just found the range of treads so daunting. I don't really care about tarmac/roads.

Thanks in advance.

Firestorm

Veteran
Try Mtb-direct s ebay shop

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
i think I've still got a pair of unused (uncompleted project) On One Smorgasbord 29-er tyres in the shed if you want them for £20 plus postage.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

I had a look on mtd-direct but there didn't appear to be very much there in the way of tyres.
That's a kind offer @GrumpyGregry but in the reviews I think that tyre's weakspot was mud, which is what I ride in a lot. I'm looking for mud tyres but if nothing grabs my fancy I might come back to your offer if it's still there.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Thanks for the suggestions, I read some reviews and it seemed as though those tyres were a bit iffy in mud, I started thinking about opening up the budget rather than buying twice but then I found some Maxis Beavers here for a seemingly very low price, am I missing something? I realise they don't have any of the special design extras but they're Beavers, dual compound and get good reviews. I might just get a pair.

I haven't found tyre reviews all that useful. People seem to have their own likes and it's a question of finding one you like the characteristics of. I wrote to wtb about whether they plan to produce Velociraptors, my favourite tyre so far, in 29 but they don't. They did recommend the Bronsons for UK trails and did say they self clean well. I've ridden some Maxxis tyres and didn't like them but I don't have deep enough pockets to try many types.

I've discovered I like a deep tread tyre that doesn't squirm. I don't like a tyre to slip before it hits it's corner grips and a lot of the Maxxis tyres I tried do that, the Nobby Nics do as well but respond well to pressure changes and have improved with wear. I'm sure others will give you a completely different view because we don't all ride the same way.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

I've ordered a pair of Maxxis Beavers as I can't seem to find anyone saying they're bad in mud and the general opinion is that they're good for all-round use too.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

I got them fitted only to find that I have half a mm clearance either side on the chainstays, this causes the tyre to rub in some places where I can't get the wheel perfectly true. Normally this would drive me mad but it doesn't notice off road so it's not too bad. The tyres themselves are amazing, they just grip and grip and grip. When I get stuck it's the weight of the mud on the inside of the rim rather than wheelspin. They also did well on the dry and pebbly bits, pleased.

Cyclist33

for future ref that looks like a hybrid rather than a 29er mtb, so next time look for 700c rather than 29er tyres. or look for cyclocross tyres. they will be the right diameter but typically a more fitting width for a hybrid frame.

stu

Top Bottom