29ers top tube length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First I have to admit I've been diverted from my planned autumn XC3 build which I know some of you are still holding your breath about..

Mrs C got one this summer, a 29er, and I'm reasonably impressed. So much so, that my thoughts turned to whether one would actually be better for me and make up for my not so impressive technical skills, for it's true, they seem to.

So I was looking at the Maxlight FF29, excellent reviews etc... and apart from wondering if I could afford the extra cost of the build, mainly frame wheels and forks, I noticed that most of them have longer top tubes for the same size rider than a 26er. You're talking about 3cm. Comparison of the XC3 geometry for a rider of my height and the FF29 has the FF29 with a longer top tube. This seems common with a few exceptions.

So ignoring the 29er vs 26er vs 650b debate for a moment, has anyone who bought one ended up with a longer top tube than they normally have, have they noticed or does the geometry compensate in other ways or have you just bought a size smaller than you would normally expect. The latter being tricky for me as I'm generally looking at the smaller size anyway.

lukesdad

The longer top tube with the swept down tube and short headtube combines to give a lower front end than most 29ers. Im guessing here but would think its to give you the position of a 26 XC bike on the bigger wheels. Reach maybe an issue, this could be compensated by saddle position and a shorter stem , stacking under the bars if you wanted them slightly higher will also compensate a little, which brings me onto, are you sure this is want you want Crax ? seems a bit racey for you :biggrin: We gave up on the XC3 build years ago :whistle:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The longer top tube with the swept down tube and short headtube combines to give a lower front end than most 29ers. Im guessing here but would think its to give you the position of a 26 XC bike on the bigger wheels. Reach maybe an issue, this could be compensated by saddle position and a shorter stem , stacking under the bars if you wanted them slightly higher will also compensate a little, which brings me onto, are you sure this is want you want Crax ? seems a bit racey for you :biggrin: We gave up on the XC3 build years ago :whistle:

Initially, that's what I thought but the geometry is common to a few makes, with less of a race pedigree than Maxlight. Standover height is the issue which I think will defeat me. Unless it's got some weird shaped tubes or bonkers geometry, even small 29ers need to be big enough in the top tube and hence other dimensions to accommodate the wheel size. Mrs C's falls into this bonkers category. it rides really well but it's got a really upright position with nearly all of your weight on the seat, never ridden a bike like it. Like a Holland bike for the trails. I reckon you need to be 5 10" to ride a 29er, if only I'd concentrated on growing taller rather than being handsome and smart......

Anyway, found a place which actually has Maxlights in stock, so might wonder along and have a nosey and no, I'm not sure, think of it as last minute thrashing before I buy the XC3.

lukesdad

A wander is probably a good idea, I had a little ride on a cannondale 29er a few weeks ago, can t remember the model. The ride felt like I was sitting in the bike rather than on it. As for standover ,height has never really bothered me even with my shortarse.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes, you're not the only one I've heard say, sit in, not on. I'll hopefully have a go on one. I was also mooching the Canyon website recently, pretty good value for money but I don't like the idea of ordering without trying.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When 29ers first came out they tried to copy the geometry of 26" bikes but the bike companies have now realized that they need to be different, so different top tube lengths etc..
Generally they aren't suited for shorter people, and as ld said, you feel like you are sitting in them as opposed to on them, which isn't such a problem for those who are taller.

Ciar

Veteran
my scott scale 970 feels like a large bmx, as you have already said you sit in the bike the only changes i have made was to shorten the stem which has made the bike so much nicer to ride, going down any incline is no longer a horrible experience, it's lovely!

this Maxlight looks like a bloody tasty bike, wish i had known about those before i invested in mine!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

my scott scale 970 feels like a large bmx, as you have already said you sit in the bike the only changes i have made was to shorten the stem which has made the bike so much nicer to ride, going down any incline is no longer a horrible experience, it's lovely!

this Maxlight looks like a bloody tasty bike, wish i had known about those before i invested in mine!
To be fair to your Scott though it's half the cost of a built Maxlight, I couldn't afford their built bikes but a self build, shopping carefully, could be done.

Ciar

Veteran
To be fair to your Scott though it's half the cost of a built Maxlight, I couldn't afford their built bikes but a self build, shopping carefully, could be done.

yes i did notice the price, but i reckon at a push i might just have cracked :smile: best of luck building it though, defo want to see pics when it's finished..

I wouldn't worry about being of small stature in making the decision to go for a 29er as you see lots of short blokes on them, main thing is to try a few out for size.

However I rode one for the first time at the weekend and was amazed by how quickly they climb and also by how much they smooth the trails out and ride over rocks - ok, I was riding a Nant y Arian which is very smooth, but I know that the mtb chap at coed y brenin knocked quite a chunk of his pb when he first went round on a 29er.

Just get one!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Astonishingly I came across an article on Kinesis's own website which directly compares the ff29 and the XC3 in the sizes I want.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/small-in-a-big-way-2/

Just need to get a ride on one now.

Cost difference is the frame, forks and wheels are the same cost and it needs a tapered headset. So far I've got a build cost of 1150, might need a donor bike to bring that down.

Last edited:

RWright

Guru
Let us know how the ride goes if you get one. I am starting to think about a mountain bike. I just recently realized how many different varieties there are. I am tempted to try and do things the hard way and hopefully get lucky. I found a 2006 Trek Fuel EX7 used. The guy has it advertised as a 2007 and is asking $800 for it, It looks very good in the picture, he says it only has a couple of hundred miles on it. I also realize it could have been 200 miles of hell and something could be broken that I would not recognize. I thought about contacting him and offering him $600 for it and it if he goes for it and it looks ok just going with it for a start. I know this is not the best way to go about it. I do think the bike is the right size for me by all the reading I have done thus far.

I am trying to determine if a 29er would be better for me. I am going to watch a race at the area I will most likely be riding a lot if I get one. I am not planning on racing, I want something to just knock around on the trails with. If I have something that will let me progress some that is fine too. I hope to get a lot of insight at the race Saturday. I would like to hear how you like the 29er. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

I rode an FF29 medium today and it was no problem size wise so a small would definitely be right, the medium being a tadge long and the standover height not being an issue.

It was tight and light and positive but long even accounting for the fact it was a medium. So definitely not as easily flickable and jumpable and talking to the staff confirmed that when it comes to rooty routes and rocky rapids where you need to twist quickly a 29er loses it's advantage and twisting my way through Delamere roots today did make me wonder about that.. Once again though, I was struck by how easily it rolls over rough ground, effortless. I also had a go of a too big full susser 29, just for fun.

On the way back I stopped at another shop and tried a Whyte 801. Why because I'd suddenly discounted the XC3 after trying the ff29 and thought this comes down now to build price or off the shelf ease and the Whyte gets good reviews and has the kind of geometry I was trying to build into the XC3, except better and cheaper. It's a 650b which is meant to be a half way house but really feels much closer to a 26, though I'd need to ride it again, which I would before buying. A tadge heavy (but still lighter than my current rigid) due to Suntour forks and a cheap crankset, all of which are upgradeable and all of which would be fine for now, Suntour seem to have improved their forks to the level of usable as opposed to leaden lumps of metal, still...

So no decision for me yet, except I've now dropped the XC3 from my thoughts because I don't gain anything for the price of the build over something like the Whyte.

Top Bottom