2nd crank failure (same place) - my fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
How long should cranks last? Just going through my post LEJOG clean up & my 2nd crank has failed in an almost identical way to the first... I think the mileage is about the same on both (around 5k miles at a guess).

My weight has varied (85-120 kg) but the new set has been lower (85-95 kg) should I really be treating these as consumable?

iluvmybike

Über Member
My best bike crankset is 5 yrs old with about 12k miles on clock, my winter/touring bike is 15 yrs old with countless miles on clock and still has the same crankset. They should last a long time - the rings may wear but can be replaced of course. I'd not expect a crank to show that sort of fracture unless there has been an impact/crash or other trauma - even if you ride like a gorilla. Perhaps you should stop eating too many Weetabix for brekkie!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've only seen one crank fail personally, and that was an old Dyna-Drive crank, which suffered from not having much meat around the oversize pedal hole.

I retired the Sugino cranks on which I commuted for a decade, as I reckoned 25,000 miles was probably enough for them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Hollowtech has certainly changed. The two halves of a crank used to be forged around a hard steel mandrel and then welded together. I've never been keen on bonding for bike parts. It may be just as strong but it has a limited lifespan. Old bonded carbon forks and frames tend to come apart as the alloy parts (lugs, crowns) corrode.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seriously annoying on expensive parts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And from the bikeradar article it seems to be a well known defect. You would have thought that the reputational damage would have got the product manager's attention by now.

You've got to wonder how many are failing - probably not enough given the numbers they sell.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have had the same fun myself, theres a video on Utube shows how to diy repair if not under warranty and have done it myself seems to work? but i have started to just fit the older shimano cranks bought of Ebay as even the chain rings are a lot cheaper, have bought used ultegra chainsets in good condition with chain rings for less than the cost of the new type chain rings.
Know the latest bonded shimano chainsets are said to be lighter stiffer and shift better than the older type but can not notice any difference myself when cycling, Maybe a stronger cyclist would be able to notice some more flex under high load?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmp2G7zIby4

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never noticed crank flex. Frame and fork flex (to the extent of brakes rubbing and gears changing themselves), certainly.

Top Bottom