2nd Hand Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
After deciding long (well ok not too long!) and hard about if i should upgrade my old MTB to rigid forks etc so i can commute on it i have decided that i'd rather just by a more suitable road bike and keep the MTB for family rides etc.

Now i used to have a 'racer' when i was at school before MTB trend appeared and i brought one of them.

I'd really like to go back to something with drops that will also take full mudguards and a rack/ light panier for all year use.

I would be looking at second hand but don't seem to be able to find much choice that will take full mudguards.

So far i've found the Giant SCR range and the Carrera Virtuoso (i assume the Giant will be the better bike - SCR2 with a bit of luck).

Is there anything alse i can get with a budget of up to / around £300?

Mark_Robson

The Crud Catcher Roadracer mud guards will fit most bikes with 25mm tyres and are very effective. You could opt for a stem mounted pannier as well.
http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Mike depends on how old 2nd hand you want. I have picked up 2 bikes ( £ 45 and £ 200) and they are both crackers. The cheaper one was an old 1980's bike (downtube shifters) and the more expensive one (Campagnolo Mirage) only 6 years old.

Just looked on e bay and this looks a cracker http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-Peugeot-...d=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3caca02316

Alternatively have you looked at Pedal Power, Marthlesham Heath or Flynn Star Cycles, Felixstowe who both normally have a good supply of 2nd hand bikes

Tony

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Also add to that list the Dawes Giro 300 it seems.

4F - Went into Pedal Power a couple of weeks ago but they where very busy so didn't talk to anyone but i can't say i noticed many road bikes (but at that stage i hadn't made a decision). Perhaps i'll call in on my way home.

Not adversed to an older bike if it does what i want, it's just that i don't really know the spec's so it's easier to find info about a more modern bike!

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
No i didn't know about that event, might pop along for a look around if i have the time. I assume there will be some local bike shops attending?

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Has anyone else got any bike suggestions? Might forget the rack as i can ride with a rucksack but i do need full mudguards...... Are the road ratcher / road race guards any good which will give me more options?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The giant and carerra have virtually the same specs,

I have the virtuosso and it s great bike for the price, C+ rated it a while back as best in their test sub £400.
And it has mounting points for racks +guards.I use crud racers and they are pretty good for the price.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Thanks cyberknight, i think it will either be the Giant SCR2 or the Carrera Virtuosso depending on what comes up at a good price. Am watching a few on ebay but will probably drop into Halfords to get fitted on the Carrera and checkout my local shops as suggested by 4F before buying.

The Carrera seems to be the cheaper option - i guess that's a result of who sells it new!!

Top Bottom