2nd hand mountain bike under £300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Buy on spec and condition, not brand. You'll likely pay more for the bigger brands (like Specialized) for a less good bike. Find some options near you (don't buy blind on eBay) that are in your size and budget, post the links and let people comment on whether they are a good option :okay:
You'll have to do some research and legwork yourself...especially as people don't know where you are based.

The Voodoo brand for Halfords is popular for entry level MTBs eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284384333934?hash=item4236a0906e:g:EC4AAOSw7hRg~RwK
I am based on the borders of london and surrey a place called cheam, this area there are a hell of a lot of cyclists since 2012 olympics, we are close to box hill

vickster

Legendary Member
I am based on the borders of london and surrey a place called cheam, this area there are a hell of a lot of cyclists since 2012 olympics, we are close to box hill
haha I live in Cheam too :biggrin:

So you'll be wanting to look at bikes in and around SW London.

I wouldn't bother with a mountain bike around here unless you're planning on heading out into the Surrey Hills

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
haha I live in Cheam too :biggrin:
devil
So you'll be wanting to look at bikes in and around SW London.

I wouldn't bother with a mountain bike around here unless you're planning on heading out into the Surrey Hills

small world, If not a mountain bike, what then, how much can a hybrid take if you are going off road

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ha ha, so you're in Cheam, not the ideal environment for a MTB. More tarmac than tracks I think?
You might find a hybrid would suit you better there. You'll still be able to take it off road and you'll still get the spread of gears but you won't have the energy sapping big heavy tyres, better for roads.
Yes BB is bottom bracket. Pull the cranks to feel for any play, a small amount is okay.
As for other checks spin the wheels for trueness and spokes are tight and listen for any hub bearing noise. Hold on front brake, push/pull bars to feel for play in head bearings. Check gears select cleanly and chain doesn't slip. Check tyres/brakes for wear. None of the foregoing are deal breakers but can be used as a bargaining chip.

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Ha I've just come off the phone to a mate of mine who was on the same page as me, but he ended up going to a shop called head for the hills, he said if you buy a 3-400 bike, it could need servicing, he said go there get a bike from them, he said they were excellent and I will get some free stuff thrown in and have warranties etc, its getting more pricey by the minute. No we wouldn't be looking to go on the road so much, more offroading, towards surrey areas

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Many hybrids are now MTB lite with bigger tyres so I should check them out anyway.
A three hundred quid MTB new isn't going to be up to much, poor quality components and heavy. That Carrera represents the minimum you should go for.
If you do want new check out Decathlon who have great VfM bikes. This Rockrider is even in stock in M.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/27-5-mountain-bike-st-530-uk/_/R-p-327423

vickster

Legendary Member
They probably have nothing close to £300.
Could try Balfes in Sutton? They do Whyte who are well regarded for MTBs and other brands
I think a good new hard tail is £800 or more so depends how flexible your budget is.
Are you getting the train to Dorking etc? If not you’ll need to use roads to get there

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carrera-vulcan-mountain-bike-sm-to-md-/1410896356 - this bike was praised by the MTB press so the seller says, it is a 2014 model, medium frame which I know I am, its just the inches size I don't know what I am, thinking maybe offer £300 and see if we can meet at £350, is this worth it?
No it’s not worth £350, you can buy one brand new with warranty for £400.
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...ike-2020---blue---s-m-l-xl-frames-347014.html
A medium Size mountain bike usually equates to a 17” frame.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I thought that front suspension was a hard tail, as I thought it were hard tail ( front only suspension) or full suspension ( which is back and front), I am avoiding full suspension, due to to cost and also weight, am I on the right lines?

thanks in advance
Front Suspension only is a hardtail. I think @fossyant meant to say ‘full’ rather than ‘front’.👍

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom