3 bikes but only one can take my money! Need advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

emuncy

I've ruled out the Scott's addict so I'm basically going back and forth between this cervelo and the Cannondale now

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Me too lol but not many options much cheaper than that unless I go with a super old bike. It surprised me just how expensive bikes are today

You're not helping yourself by suddenly deciding to buy a shortage commodity in the middle of the Coronavirus outbreak. It has screwed up the global supply of bikes and spare parts and pushed up prices of both new and used machines.
If you want decent value for money you will need to forget about buying anything this side of the autumn and wait until the market normalises when the virus-related factors recede.
I only ever buy bikes used and I have seen very few decent bargains in the UK over the last year, to the point I have only actually bought one machine, and that was just for spare parts as it wasn't even in my size. I don't suppose the US market is any better.

OP
OP
E

emuncy

You're not helping yourself by suddenly deciding to buy a shortage commodity in the middle of the Coronavirus outbreak. It has screwed up the global supply of bikes and spare parts and pushed up prices of both new and used machines.
If you want decent value for money you will need to forget about buying anything this side of the autumn and wait until the market normalises when the virus-related factors recede.
I only ever buy bikes used and I have seen very few decent bargains in the UK over the last year, to the point I have only actually bought one machine, and that was just for spare parts as it wasn't even in my size. I don't suppose the US market is any better.
I would wait to get a new one but this season is coming up in a couple months and I can't keep riding this current bike that's too large.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
After putting up with it being on the large side for 15 years, another 9 months is hardly a big deal is it? Standover clearance is only really an issue when stopping and starting. I've ridden plenty of oversized frames and all the time you are moving it doesn't matter. Not ideal for stop-start urban traffic riding I'll admit, or off road MTB use, but if you are on a clear road where you might go for 10 miles or more without actually needing to come to a halt, then the lack of standover clearance is more of an inconvenience than anything.

OP
OP
E

emuncy

After putting up with it being on the large side for 15 years, another 9 months is hardly a big deal is it? Standover clearance is only really an issue when stopping and starting. I've ridden plenty of oversized frames and all the time you are moving it doesn't matter. Not ideal for stop-start urban traffic riding I'll admit, or off road MTB use, but if you are on a clear road where you might go for 10 miles or more without actually needing to come to a halt, then the lack of standover clearance is more of an inconvenience than anything.
I'd agree but only I rode it for a year or 2 when I first got it and and then it sat idle for about 10/12 years. Just got back in to it last year and everything I rode it would bother my upper back and shoulders.

Still on the fence... Were prices that much different pre pandemic?

Gunk

Guru
I only ever buy bikes used and I have seen very few decent bargains in the UK over the last year

there are still some decent buys out there, if you ignore the inflated asking price and make a cheeky offer you can get lucky. I picked up a mint 2010 Dura Ace and Ultegra equipped Titanium Van Nicholas just before Christmas for £1000. He wanted £1350 for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok guys, I think I may have found a gem... What is your opinion on this bike here? It's a Schwinn Paramont Series 6. It's only 650 and it seems to have pretty good components on it.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1066523220/
Your link doesn’t work, but I’m not sure I’d put Schwinn In the same class as Cervelo and Cannondale. The frameset is the most important bit as components can be changed

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, no good, can you screenshot the ad?

Attachments

• EFD7A10A-C0F2-4197-B827-CC9C1429FC2F.png
    EFD7A10A-C0F2-4197-B827-CC9C1429FC2F.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
E

emuncy

Sure thing. Here you go

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-070331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-070331_Chrome.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210211-070341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-070341_Chrome.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210211-070349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-070349_Chrome.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
E

emuncy

@emuncy
Of the three I would go with the Synapse - a better bike and not used. Plus you get to support my favourite store in Chicago. However - when is it in stock?
Another option would be Village Cycle with a Trek Domane 4 or even better the 5. In stock in a 52cm
https://www.villagecycle.com/product/trek-domane-al-5-disc-380929-1.htm A much better spec and very pretty
View attachment 573390
I've actually got the synapse on hold with refundable deposit. I have to decide my Sunday though.

I'll definitely check out the trek! And it is very pretty

OP
OP
E

emuncy

Top Bottom