3 day epic - Coed Brenin, BPW, Snowdon and Antur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aj101

If you go up Snowdon the Llanberris is so much fun to come back down, you can really let it go on some sections of it. It's still the longest down hill I've ever done.

if you are looking for a more adventurous cheap place to stay Penrhos isaf Mountain bothy is a good/ Free place to stay and is on the Coed Brenin trail fairly near to a small road and if your looking for a nice easy day you could always do the Mawddach trail again close By.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Thought I would revive this thread for a quick update.

Arrived back from Wales on Saturday evening. It was a great trip and couldn’t really have asked for any more. Got some great footage on the Go Pro but haven’t had time to edit or upload any yet.

We decided on doing Degla on the way down because of time constraints. Enjoyed the loop round the forest, the red and black options were spot on and not too adventurous. We pretty much had the place to ourselves due to it being mid week. I thought the trails flowed really well and they have made a good use of the space. Only downside was coming off on the thin board section at the bottom of the jump/drops area, resulting in a sprained wrist. Foolish fall as I was thinking about the next drops section rather than what I was doing. I thought the trip might be over as I couldn’t even lift the door handle on my car, never mind ride.

20161005_140738_zpsx1lwgmhh.jpg [/URL

http://s538.photobucket.com/user/mk...d Plants/20161005_140738_zpsx1lwgmhh.jpg.html
20161005_142924_025_zpsnkql2xtv.jpg

Thursday was Bike Park Wales. We absolutely loved this place for a day out. The uplift, trails and weather were great. Only let down was not being able to do the harder trails due to the pain in my wrist. The reds would have been OK but couldn’t hold on well going off drops. That said the blue trails were fast and still good fun.

AJ0P2244-ZF-8488-96300-1-001_zps20rsv6vy.jpg

Friday was Snowdon. Stopped in a local B&B and made an early start due to the threat of worse weather coming in after dinner. Completely under estimated the scale of the climb and how much the weather can change when you are nearing the top. It was almost exactly like
@PeteXXX below. Thought I had over dressed but luckily had just enough on to stay warm at the summit. The climb took 2 hours 40 and 25 minutes on the descent. It smashed my wrists about on the way down so decided to give Stinog a miss.

........then good weather for Snowdon until the summit, where it was 40 mph winds 2 or 3 degrees C and fog.

IMG-20161007-WA0004_zpsvwgsmyfk.jpg

Saturday we decided to go back to Degla as we enjoyed the ride. All was going well until I went off a drop near the end that blew a hole in the sidewall. Sealant wouldn't sort it so threw a tube in, patched it up to get back to the car and decided to call it a day and head home.

Its well worth a trip if anyone hasn’t done Wales before.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Great report, hope the wrists get better soon.
On our trip last year, we had two days to ride. We checked the mountai forecast and decided which day to do Coed y Brenin, preferring a dry Snowdon and a drizzly Coed.
I'm jealous now so will have to plan another jolly there in the Spring :okay:

Motozulu

Über Member
Snowdon was the best and hardest thing I have ever done in my life - well done.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Snowdon was the best and hardest thing I have ever done in my life - well done.

Would agree with that @Motozulu I was OK with it until I reached the under pass about 4/5 of the way up. I really lost motivation but kept trudging on staring at the floor knowing there was only half an hour left. The pie and the cuppa tasted fantastic though when we made it to the cafe.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We never found the cafe, it was too foggy :laugh:

Did you wave at the trains, and get a wave back from people looking at eejits riding up the rocks?

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Did you wave at the trains, and get a wave back from people looking at eejits riding up the rocks?

Yes, there were lots of smug people waving from the train as they went past. I would like to think they were smiling at us but am fairly sure they were laughing.

One thing I did notice was the amount of encouragement coming from the peds walking up and down. Really helped keep the motivation going with a bit of banter.

Motozulu

Über Member
Feckin cafe was closed when we did it - I was gutted - what I'd have given for a hot drink and some cake :sad:. Agree about the peds though, they were ace.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Next time you're over have a ride of the Rhyd Ddu track. It's a nice climb with great summit views when it's not foggy. The top is bit rocky and you'll walk a few bits unless you're a bit nuts. The descent is great but over in no time at all. When I do it, I wonder why it takes so long to get up there!

It's one of the quietest paths too.

Top Bottom