Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley 3 ferries. April 27th 2014.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBC

Veteran
Just so I know who to wait for at Wemyss Bay or Gourock (Western Ferries): am I correct in assuming that the only people going to start the ride at Gourock are @Fubar , @Telemark (if not workbound), @Somebuddy and possibly @GBC ?

Wemyss Bay for everyone else? @Pat "5mph" , @MikeW-71 , @clockhammer , @Stephen Harris (plus the other GRC folks), @Rasmus (possibly) and @Ellebells (possibly, and presumably coming with Pat).
Hi @Brandane, I think I can pretty much definitely say that we will get the later train, get off at Branchton, and meet up with the rest of you at Gourock.
Very much looking forward to it:smile:

Fubar

Guru
If coming to Wemyss Bay for the start at 10am, you need to catch the 0850 train from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay.
Option 2 is to catch the 0950 train from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay, but jump off at Branchton and cycle over to meet us at McInroys Point (west of Gourock, towards Inverkip) for the Western Ferries to Dunoon. We will meet you there about 1045 (train arrives Branchton at 1026).
Bear in mind that the ride finishes at Wemyss Bay, so you will be cheaper buying the return train ticket to Wemyss Bay.
Option 2 was invented because the eastern contingent can't get to Glasgow in time for the 0850 train.

I THINK option 2 is what I was planning to do, to be honest I was just going to follow @Telemark! If @GBC is going for that option we could meet at Glasgow Central? I was going to go over it all at work tomorrow, whilst, erm working...

scook94

Veteran
Just so I know who to wait for at Wemyss Bay or Gourock (Western Ferries): am I correct in assuming that the only people going to start the ride at Gourock are @Fubar , @Telemark (if not workbound), @Somebuddy and possibly @GBC ?

Wemyss Bay for everyone else? @Pat "5mph" , @MikeW-71 , @clockhammer , @Stephen Harris (plus the other GRC folks), @Rasmus (possibly) and @Ellebells (possibly, and presumably coming with Pat).

It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be coming along too. I'll be popping down to Largs on the Saturday and riding up from there in the morning, so I'll be meeting at Wemyss Bay. There's not too many names I think I've met, but someone mentioned there will be cake, so...

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's looking increasingly likely that I'll be coming along too. I'll be popping down to Largs on the Saturday and riding up from there in the morning, so I'll be meeting at Wemyss Bay. There's not too many names I think I've met, but someone mentioned there will be cake, so...
I will be riding up from Largs too! Maybe a bit earlier than you would normally be going, as I am planning on a bit of pre-ride carb loading at the Seaview Cafe :hungry:. Will probably leave Largs about 8.30/8.45 ish if you want to join me.

scook94

Veteran
I will be riding up from Largs too! Maybe a bit earlier than you would normally be going, as I am planning on a bit of pre-ride carb loading at the Seaview Cafe :hungry:. Will probably leave Largs about 8.30/8.45 ish if you want to join me.

Yeah that was earlier than I'd planned. Was going to set off just after 9 and head up Routenburn Road to try and avoid any early morning rally drivers you often get on the A78. If I change my mind I'll PM or whatever and arrange somewhere to meet.

Fubar

Guru
Ok I think I know what I'm doing - cycle to Edin Waverley for 08:30 train to GQS arriving 09:25, head for GC (possibly meeting @GBC) for 09:50 train to Wemyss Bay, getting off at Branchton at 10:26 (pity I'm missing the exotic-sounding IBM stop!) and pedal down to McInroys Point for meet and ferry - I know it's all been said before but it helps me to write it down!

@Brandane might be worth PM'ing me your mobile number, just in case I get totally lost!! Hopefully see you all Sunday.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ok I think I know what I'm doing - cycle to Edin Waverley for 08:30 train to GQS arriving 09:25, head for GC (possibly meeting @GBC) for 09:50 train to Wemyss Bay, getting off at Branchton at 10:26 (pity I'm missing the exotic-sounding IBM stop!) and pedal down to McInroys Point for meet and ferry - I know it's all been said before but it helps me to write it down!

@Brandane might be worth PM'ing me your mobile number, just in case I get totally lost!! Hopefully see you all Sunday.
You have a PM.. Anyone else who doesn't already have my number and might need it, just let me know.

BTW, the IBM stop is far from exotic! The station was built there about 25 years ago at the rear of the IBM plant when it employed thousands of redundant welders and rivetters from he shipyards. Sadly the IBM plant is now not much more than a
portacabin. The trains still feel the need to stop there though, even on a Sunday.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'll be at Wemyss Bay, provided I can get on a train! Haven't been able to make a bike reservation so fingers crossed...
Don't worry about it, you can't book bike spaces on the Clyde Coast lines anyway. There is a space for bikes in one of the carriages, there will be a bike symbol on the door to show where. It's usually full - of prams and luggage :laugh:. I have never had a problem with leaving my bike in the space at the doors on any of the carriages.

Top Bottom