3 Pistes Cycle Scottish Highands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you know you want to join me:wacko::laugh:
Future participation in any event more strenuous than "gentle" firmly depends upon how I get on this week, never mind "bastard hard, vindictive and openly sadistic". If I survive the raid then I'll think about it :-p

Twilkes

Guru
I'm thinking of aiming for this next year, not sure about my bike though. Kona Dew hybrid with trekking bars, list weight about 13kg, 700x28 Conti Gatorskin tyres, 28/38/48 front ring with a 11-34 Megarange on the back (next gear up from the 34 is a 26). It's not slow, but it's not zippy, especially up the hills which could make all the difference on this route. I would probably switch the Gators for GP 4 Seasons as I never quite trust them on fast/wet corners.

I got round Arran in 4.5 hours, about 25 minutes of that was resting, and with 5kg of kit and water in a pannier which I likely wouldn't need to carry. So looking to come in under 9 hours - what's the cut off time for the 3 Pistes?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of aiming for this next year, not sure about my bike though. Kona Dew hybrid with trekking bars, list weight about 13kg, 700x28 Conti Gatorskin tyres, 28/38/48 front ring with a 11-34 Megarange on the back (next gear up from the 34 is a 26). It's not slow, but it's not zippy, especially up the hills which could make all the difference on this route. I would probably switch the Gators for GP 4 Seasons as I never quite trust them on fast/wet corners.

I got round Arran in 4.5 hours, about 25 minutes of that was resting, and with 5kg of kit and water in a pannier which I likely wouldn't need to carry. So looking to come in under 9 hours - what's the cut off time for the 3 Pistes?
The organisers were pretty flexible this year, I think a few poor souls rolled in several hours after the originally stated cut-off time and they were still given a finish time. I was just over 9 hours (but could have taken an hour off that if I hadn't faffed about at rest stops)
There was a guy doing it on an ellipti-go and he made it; I don't think your bike would be a major issue.

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks - I was reading through the thread, about how some folk thought it was the most difficult ride they ever did, the toughest climbs they'd ever done, and yet still managed it six and a half hours. :ohmy: :smile: So reading that makes me feel better.

And after looking it up, I also now want an Ellipti-go. :smile:

Twilkes

Guru
Just seen this, why would you rush around Arran :sad:

Because Ive been there lots of times and I know what it looks like. :smile:

Seriously though (although I was serious) unless I'm camping/touring I generally use cycling as a means to get from A to B, or as a fitness tool. I also quite like the 'trance zone' that comes from focusing on staying near the limit.

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Not holding my breath that i'll be on it, i never make the pictures or stuff like that, @Louch did get interviewed at the start line and the women in purple you see talking to the camera we spent a bit of time cycling with her and you see some shots of her cycling so i'm hoping for a for a wee bit of fame...

I really hope I don't appear on it. My outfit that day was ridiculous and I looked ashen-faced and drawn on the Lecht (saying nowt about Cairn Gorm)

Top Bottom