3 speed any good for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I've got the chance of a 3 speed 22inch astra bike for a good price,the reason i'm considering it is me and the mrs want to go touring next year to North Wales or Cumbria,thinking of doing a different camp site each night so will need a comfy bike capable of taking panniers etc and this bike looks just the ticket,its just the 3 speed i'm uncertain of.
Also what does actually make a good tourer?
BTW the mrs will have her own bike too :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
one way of looking at it is, when three speeds were all there was, people went touring on them. Might be easier, more convenient, etc., etc., with more gears but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

aberal

Guru
Answer boils down to the lowest gear you have. If it's low enough, you can. If it's not - might be a bit of a struggle.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Is it like this one?

3711672-636m.jpg

I think you would be better off waiting for a 5 or preferably 10 or more speed bike to come up. You can pick up a half decent one for around £50 if you are patient and keep your eyes open. You've got the whole winter to find one.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You could. But frankly, personally...I wouldn't.

ahhh you've never toured on a brompton then.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I have. Excellent fun. Even with just three speeds. And so handy when something really too far off your track takes your fancy and you can let the bus/train take the strain for a day.

me too, although not really proper tours, but very long days out (once, yha) then home in hilly country from rossendale to yorks dales. i've got 19" low gear due to schlumpf speed drive, great fun but spoke breakages have happened more than once (not since i got lbs to rebuild rear wheel with dt swiss spokes). just shows that touring can be fun on any bike, i was never left behind when with touring bikes either.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Is it like this one?

3711672-636m.jpg

I think you would be better off waiting for a 5 or preferably 10 or more speed bike to come up. You can pick up a half decent one for around £50 if you are patient and keep your eyes open. You've got the whole winter to find one.
Thats the exact one i was considering getting :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
Assuming the almost standard issue 44 or 46 tooth chainwheels that most 3 speed roadsters have, stick a 22 or 24 tooth sprocket on it and it should be low enough for most purposes.

I have completed a 50 mile ride in a relatively hilly area with a heavy 3 speed roadster running 46/21 gearing and carrying some luggage in a not unreasonable 3 hrs 25 minutes. That was what felt like a brisk pace but nowhere near overdoing it.

Top Bottom