3 spokes in as many rides!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buzzinonbikes

Hi all,

I bought a new Scott Speedster 20 in January of this year which has been great so far. Recently however I have broken a spoke on the rear wheel on every ride I have been on :sad:.

I realise the roads or so rubbish at the moment but I do try to avoid most pot holes, and certainly take my weight off the saddle if they are unavoidable.

The first two snapped at the nipple and left a bit inside the rim, but the last one snapped at the hub?!

My questions are - is this normal for a new bike, and would this sort of thing be covered under warranty?

I'm half tempted to not bother and just get the wheel completely rebuilt with sturdier spokes. At £10 a pop per spoke I could of got the whole wheel done if another goes!!

The wheels are Syncros Race 28 Aero Profile. The spokes are black and I have heard they can be sometimes more brittle - any truth in this?

Thanks all

OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

PS. If it hadn't been for the gorgeous weather today I might of cried at the third spoke going...:sun:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whos charging £10 a spoke? my LBS charges 50 p, might be worth getting it checked out and retrued from scratch because once they start going regularly they will keep on going if the wheel is not trued right.
I had the same problem and i loosened all the spokes, took it to a LBS for a true and it was fine after that.

OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

Sorry £10 to bob it in and then true the whole wheel. I thought that was quite good considering they turned it round in the hour and the first place I went had it for two days and charged £17.50 for the privilege! Might be an idea to loosen em all down ey so they don't skimp on the job!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
AAhh with a wheel true thats not to bad but it sounds like they need retrueing from scratch.
For 1 spoke i would just do it myself and retrue it too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A few years ago I had spoke problems on a mountain bike.

As cyberknight says, there's often a domino effect as one pings after another.

The answer in my case - and yours I reckon - is to go up a gauge.

Tiny bit more weight, but worth it for the peace of mind and uninterrupted rides.

sancho

Regular
I think your problem is due to uneven tension, Your LBS might have replaced the spokes and true the wheel but my guess is that some spokes have a lot more tension than others so they are taking most of the load hence they are braking. If this happens again ask then to get the tension even on all spokes.

I assume this bike is under warranty? why don't you take it back to the "shop" you bought it from and speak with their customer services? got to be worth a try rather than continuing to fish out of your own wallet...

OP
OP
Buzzinonbikes

Buzzinonbikes

Cheers all. Ye seems like it's the tension has gradually unevenly crept up when they have been repaired rather than starting from fresh. I spoke to the shop I got it from but they didn't seem too interested. I'm quite keen to stop using them anyway as their technical skill seems a bit rubbish. eg. The headset was loose and rattling and they couldnt figure it out and thought it was internal cabbling, and when I brought this up they said yeah bring it in but we might have to order Scott spokes! :wacko:
Might just be rid of them and get it sorted at a shop I am much happier with closer to home. Get 10% off too for being a club member.

Thanks all

Ningishzidda

I assume this bike is under warranty? why don't you take it back to the "shop" you bought it from and speak with their customer services? got to be worth a try rather than continuing to fish out of your own wallet...

+1
Keep taking it back to where you bought it. It should be on Warranty.
If they say its got no warranty, ask for your V.A.T. back.

Top Bottom