3 wheels good, 2 wheels bad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trickletreat

Veteran
I have just past the 3000 mile marker towing my daughter to school, mostly by recumbent trike. Today after returning from the school run, and with some time on my hands, I decided to take my wife's new Gruber assisted Trek out to try and see what the battery range was like.

During the 1 1/2 hours I was out, I experienced six passes that were less than a foot from the handle bars, and two drivers pulled out across me. Luckily each time I was well positioned with an escape open to me. I just don't have this happen to me when on the trike!

The trike is less than 20cm wider than the bike's handlebars, but must appear much bigger and more note worthy to drivers, hence the extra room allowed...so for me three wheels good.

As a side note, took the Gruber powered Trek to Red Kite cycles in Shirley, and let the owner and manager have a go....made these hardened roadies smile! The motor is completely hidden in the seat tube, and the battery is the size of my fist, again hidden in a small under saddle bag...very stealth like.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's no doubt, you get more room on a recumbent (I think even on a two wheeler). Partly the bulk I think, and the fact that the widest bit is metal not flesh, and partly the WTF!? effect.

Of course, if there were too many, the latter effect would be lessened. But that'll take a while I think....

Twiggy

could it be the kid factor?

Maybe drivers are noticing you have a child with you, thus giving more space.
To properly experiment you'd need to do the trip with your daughter, on your trike, then on a bike. Then do the same trip, same day of the week and same time of day without your daughter.

Even then it'd only be a rough experiment. But good enough for basic trends.

:tongue:

But either way, nasty how people leave so little room.

sunnyjim

Having recently changed  commuter transport from a trike to a low-ish 2 wheel recumbent - for the summer at least - ,  My experience suggests that the recumbent factor is probably the main  influence rather than just the trike. I have a flag on the trike, as one does, but not on the  2 wheeler, and seem to get  exactly the the same level of courtesty extended by the motorised  brethern on both. 

After nearly 3 years reclining on the same roads at around the same times,   the subtle difference between 2  and  3 wheels may not be obvious, and I'd assume  I'm a familiar sight to the regulars, so there may be some pay-off for  past  small  efforts to maintain good relations between  muscle and internal combustion powered road users. 

OP
OP
trickletreat

trickletreat

Veteran
Having recently changed commuter transport from a trike to a low-ish 2 wheel recumbent - for the summer at least - , My experience suggests that the recumbent factor is probably the main influence rather than just the trike. I have a flag on the trike, as one does, but not on the 2 wheeler, and seem to get exactly the the same level of courtesty extended by the motorised brethern on both.

After nearly 3 years reclining on the same roads at around the same times, the subtle difference between 2 and 3 wheels may not be obvious, and I'd assume I'm a familiar sight to the regulars, so there may be some pay-off for past small efforts to maintain good relations between muscle and internal combustion powered road users.
The small efforts we make are indeed important, the thank you wave, pulling over sometimes etc all have an effect with the regulars. There are some regulars who display contempt for there fellow human beings on a daily basis, you get to spot them and cycle accordingly....does make me question and reflect daily, re towing my daughter. Why I still continue is mainly due to the fact that these few could harm us when we are on foot just as easily.

Top Bottom