30mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What is the difference between a car doing 30mph and a bike doing 30mph? That is the speed I was doing going down a hill, on a main road. There was a road on the left with a stop sign. I saw this red car at it and luckily anticipated his next move, so I slowed down. I was right. The red car pulled out, ignoring me completely. As I caught up with it I gestured the self-gratification artist's sign but swear the old guy just ignored it.
Be careful out there guys as we seem to be invisible no matter what speed we do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No difference, but folk don't connect a bike with that speed, despite being covered in lycra. I get it regular on one long downhill, 1 junction from right, then one later from left. I expect the pull outs, so I'm in primary. When it happens, I switch to the white line, accelerate, and shout 'LOOK', then fly past them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 1561467"]
That's why you should be pushing between 35-40mph. That way by the time the car would have pulled out you would have past the junction.
[/quote]

Not on the fixed. I'd be mega visible with my pants on fire. 33 is about max for me. :tongue:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Not only are we less visible (some would argue we're totally invisible) than motor vehicles but we cant stop as quickly as a car either.

byegad

Legendary Member
A well pumped up Air Zound tends to grab the attention. I tooted one driver today who was showing every sign of pulling out in front of me. While you can't always get them to stop a long blast does let them know you had to brake hard to make up for their mistake!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
What is the difference between a car doing 30mph and a bike doing 30mph? That is the speed I was doing going down a hill, on a main road. There was a road on the left with a stop sign. I saw this red car at it and luckily anticipated his next move, so I slowed down. I was right. The red car pulled out, ignoring me completely. As I caught up with it I gestured the self-gratification artist's sign but swear the old guy just ignored it.
Be careful out there guys as we seem to be invisible no matter what speed we do.

It may not be because you were a cyclist, it may be that the guy just plain shouldn't be on the road. I've seen an old dodderer blithely pull out in front of a bright orange double-articulated lorry with its headlights flashing frantically and its horn blaring ... he didn't even notice it ...

Tynan

Veteran
bikes, just like cars should go at a speed sensible for the conditions, that including stopping distance

speed limits for vehicles are there a reason

grinch out

Bman

Guru
I had two of them recently. One on the way home last night and one this morning:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jLtKJvE8o[/media]
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjgcl7Rovko[/media]

Top Bottom