35mm tyres with Raceblade Pro XL mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

As title really. I’ve fitted some raceblade pro XL clip on mudguards. Specs say they are from 25-32mm tyres. Currently have 30s but I’m quite tempted to try some Schwalbe G-one allround tyres in 35 for winter. Are these likely to (a) work ok, (b) be a bit close and need some plastic trimming, or (c) no chance?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why would you go bigger than 28's unless it's a mountain bike, bigger tyres don't give more 'grip' on the roads and OK they might give more protection on big bumps (like if you're bumping up kerbs) but 28's (1 1/8th) or 30's (1 1/4) the bigger a tyre is the more it weighs so 'spinning it up' takes more effort compromising acceleration and climbing ability

Jameshow

Veteran
As title really. I’ve fitted some raceblade pro XL clip on mudguards. Specs say they are from 25-32mm tyres. Currently have 30s but I’m quite tempted to try some Schwalbe G-one allround tyres in 35 for winter. Are these likely to (a) work ok, (b) be a bit close and need some plastic trimming, or (c) no chance?

What is the clearance ATM?

You need approx 3mm extra clearance all round.

vickster

Legendary Member

What plastic are you planning on trimming? The issue will be the wheels not being able to go around inside the mudguard if the tyres are too wide? You also need extra space to allow for muck to build under the mudguards and the wheels to still turn. 30mm version of same tyre should be plenty as stated for winter

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I ride a Kinesis ATRV3 in winter and for gravel. She has Schwalbe G-one All round 35mm for gravel riding which are very good for road over short distances. Very good tyres which I'm happy with BUT I rode them through all of last winter on road and it was tough. After 3-4 months of winter riding I was very tired, frustrated by my poor efforts and struggled to keep up with groups and friends.

This winter I've moved to Hutchison Sector 28mm and the improvement is dramatic.

If you're only interested in improved grip the Schwalbes will give you this - my experience is these tyres do increase grip in winter conditions - but you will definitely sacrifice speed, acceleration and will tire more easily.

Great tyre but not suited to your purpose in my view.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Thanks for the replies but I was hoping for actual experience from people who have these specific mudguards.

Why would I want bigger tyres?
  • Terrible (really flipping horrendous) condition of road surfaces round here
  • Potholes (see above)
  • Leaf mould and general road crud such as as slime from gritting salt mixed with water. Had a couple of bum clench moments on these Hutchinson slicks already which the basic 35 commuter tyres on my hybrid would not have noticed.
  • Towpaths and light trails
  • Comfort
For all the above reasons, I have no intention of running less than 30 and in any case 35 is the smallest diameter these tyres are available in.

I'm really not that bothered about overall acceleration, and I doubt an extra 120g per tyre will make much difference to me at least. Additional weight won't affect max speed at all except when climbing and I have a motor to compensate for that. I cycle for fun, fitness and to get places. I'm not racing. I'm probably not going to be doing much distance until the weather improves and then I can put the road tyres back on.

Can I ask what you think my purpose is? I suspect you ride a lot more miles than I do at the moment.

The Hutchinson Sectors you mention look intriguing but read some reviews saying they're very slippery in the wet which is putting me off.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've used the Raceblade Pro XLs on a bike fitted with 32mm Continental GP 4 Seasons and there was plenty of clearance so I'd guess it was possible I hope, as I will be doing the same thing once I've worn out (or got fed up with as they are too narrow & look wrong) the 28mm Vittorias currently fitted to that bike.
#
Edited to add - the bike was fitted with a GP4 Seasons 32mm front & Vittoria Voyager Hyper 32 at the rear, both of which are fairly 'large' and this is how it looked
1671372202713.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dadam

What plastic are you planning on trimming? The issue will be the wheels not being able to go around inside the mudguard if the tyres are too wide? You also need extra space to allow for muck to build under the mudguards and the wheels to still turn. 30mm version of same tyre should be plenty as stated for winter

The plastic hoops where the stays attach, that clip onto the mudguards, encroach inside the mudguards by a few mm. The mudguards themselves are 43mm wide, so this suggests it is those hoops that are the limiting factor why SKS recommend up to 32mm.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The OP will have a better idea of his own needs, so if 35mm work for him all is good. One thing to bear in mind is that often tyre sizing is optimistic, so what is written on the sidewall may actually be narrower than expected, giving a bit more clearance. I have a Vittoria Randonneur for example which is nominally 42mm but actually measures 38mm fitted. Also a Schwalbe "Big Apple" which is nominally 50mm but works out at 45mm on a fairly wide rim. Can't guarantee that some makes might not be more generous than others though. Also there might be some variation depending on interior width of the rim. No direct experience of the tyres in question but hope this info might help.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
35mm may not actually measure 35mm when mounted - it depends on the rims. I would guess it is likely to be ok, and I would probably take a punt, if in your shoes.

I've got Raceblade Pro XLs fitted over 33.3mm tyres on my Tempest - so I just nipped over to the garage to grab a couple of photos. They're so adjustable that they'd easily take 35mm tyres - you can see the spare real estate behind the stays, but they might just let a bit of mud or water fly past.

They are excellent - just need to make sure they're done up tightly.

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I ride a Kinesis ATRV3 in winter and for gravel. She has Schwalbe G-one All round 35mm for gravel riding which are very good for road over short distances. Very good tyres which I'm happy with BUT I rode them through all of last winter on road and it was tough. After 3-4 months of winter riding I was very tired, frustrated by my poor efforts and struggled to keep up with groups and friends.

This winter I've moved to Hutchison Sector 28mm and the improvement is dramatic.

If you're only interested in improved grip the Schwalbes will give you this - my experience is these tyres do increase grip in winter conditions - but you will definitely sacrifice speed, acceleration and will tire more easily.

Opinions vary on this. Also have G-One Allrounds on an ATR v3, nine centuries on it so far (longest ride 147 miles) & have not noticed any problems. G-One Speed are (according to Schwalbe) faster but they're the same weight so I can't see them making much more than a marginal improvement.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Opinions vary on this. Also have G-One Allrounds on an ATR v3, nine centuries on it so far (longest ride 147 miles) & have not noticed any problems. G-One Speed are (according to Schwalbe) faster but they're the same weight so I can't see them making much more than a marginal improvement.

Yes, I wouldn't describe it as a problem but I find them noticeably slower. I've done one road century (109) on a route and with people I'm usually very comfortable with but left me wiped out on the Schwalbes. It's been similar on shorter, faster rides.

Since changing to Hutchison 28mm for winter those difficulties have disappeared. I guess it's whatever suits the individual. The Schwalbes will go back on in April when we start gravel again.

On gravel they're perfect for me. We often do 80/90 miles of gravel without any feeling of being slower.

Jameshow

Veteran

Mental!

Shut up legs!!!

Top Bottom