3mm gear wire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trax

Hi. Does anyone have a link to a seller of the very old style gear cable? The barrel end is 3mm diameter, and 3mm in length - much smaller than the standard barrel on modern bikes. Many thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have just measured two, for interest, and they were (dia, length, all dims mm) 4.0 x 4.1 and 3.8 x 3.5. Is the 'socket' in the shifter it settles into the limiting factor and what could it cope with max?
Please don't take umbrage if I observe your title is misleading: gear cable has a diameter of 1.2mm and doubt that's changed much.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
T

Trax

Hi and thanks. The socket is the limiting factor and won't take the standard Shimano barrel, unfortunately. The bike is a ladies Peugeot road bike, probably 30 years old ,- possibly older. Regards.

Svendo

Guru
Pedantry corner: some gear cable is 1.1mm, I think Sram and some coated types.
Actually possibly helpful corner: I got the wrong type of brake cable for the munchkins V-Brakes, but it was easy to file to fit especially as the button is pretty soft metal.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I got the wrong type of brake cable for the munchkins V-Brakes, but it was easy to file to fit especially as the button is pretty soft metal.
I would be most reluctant to file any 'end button' on brake cables. You would not want your kin to be munched, still worse be the cause of it.

roley poley

Über Member
Pedantry corner: some gear cable is 1.1mm, I think Sram and some coated types.
Actually possibly helpful corner: I got the wrong type of brake cable for the munchkins V-Brakes, but it was easy to file to fit especially as the button is pretty soft metal.
yep have had to Dremel a few to fit too

Top Bottom