3p rise per litre in fuel duty ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
Pump prices have dropped by more than 3p a litre in the last few weeks anyway.

The fuel escalator was introduced to discourage car usage, yet now it's starting to actually have an effect the politicians are getting scared.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15176330
The fuel escalator was introduced to increase tax revenue, the fall in usage might threaten that !
The Chancellor will be wondering where he can make up the shortfall.

subaqua

What’s the point
And you lot wonder why motorists do not like you.

maybe because we can plan journeys, and not resort to "must use car " mentality . wifey drives eldest to swimming Galas. I use public transport. guess who eldest wants to take her more. answer might shock you- yes me on the public transport.
guess who gets to leave later and gets home quicker than the other squad members who get driven there.
the one in Colchester will be fun to plan !!

Davidc

Guru
3p in one go isn't huge, but go to 30p and the shock would be too much for many businesses.

At 3p those who don't want to contribute more to deficit reduction have choices.

Walk or cycle the school run
Walk or cycle for shopping except perhaps for the big load once a week - even that could be done online delivered.
Walk or cycle for other short trips as well
Cut out unnecessary trips altogether
Combine car journeys to reduce mileage.
When they have to drive do so in the most economical way possible, including slowing down.
Longer term, buy more economical cars

Even without tax increases fuel & other energy sources will increase in price in future, so we'd all better get used to it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well once upon a time we had to drive an extra 200miles a week taking junior to swimming training and galas, not everyone has facilities on their door step. I'm defo in the cycle everywhere camp but I'm also a realist in that the car is a necessity for us. Wife's uni is a 60 mile round trip balancing that with child care timing I.e getting home on time then car it is public transport is just not upto it. On the matter of public transport it's not cheap is it? Above inflation rises year on year for the train! UK Plc is fecked end off!

subaqua

What’s the point
Well once upon a time we had to drive an extra 200miles a week taking junior to swimming training and galas, not everyone has facilities on their door step. I'm defo in the cycle everywhere camp but I'm also a realist in that the car is a necessity for us. Wife's uni is a 60 mile round trip balancing that with child care timing I.e getting home on time then car it is public transport is just not upto it. On the matter of public transport it's not cheap is it? Above inflation rises year on year for the train! UK Plc is fecked end off!

we have to travel out to deepest essex for a lot of the galas. i know when next yrs Galas for eldest are so have got tickets for some already. saved quite a lot. planning is all it takes as i said. I agree a car is a neccesity for some things. for us for holidays it most defo is. but we don't jet off spunking avgas and CO2 by the tonne, and we keep money in the UK economy.

i would say 90% of my journeys are by public transport or cycle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No your not, you are a cyclist who happens to use a car, sometimes.
No one uses their car all the time.

Feel free to spell out what your qualifying criteria for being a motorist actually are so we motorists can ridicule them. I suspect the criteria for being a 'motorist' will focus on almost complete reliance on the car as an enabler of lifestyle and employment, aka petrol addiction, with a similar almost complete refusal to acknowledge the existence of choices in the matter aka blinkers.

But I'd love, for once, to be wrong about this so I'm all ears....

Lurker

... I suspect the criteria for being a 'motorist' will focus on almost complete reliance on the car as an enabler of lifestyle and employment, aka petrol addiction, with a similar almost complete refusal to acknowledge the existence of choices in the matter aka blinkers.....

, in combination with a complete unwillingness or inability to appreciate that the use of one's car worsens the travelling environment for everyone else....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
  • 49% of the population in England and Wales who travel less than 5 km to work
  • 68% of the population in England and Wales who travel less than 10 km to work
  • 83% of the population in England and Wales who travel less than 20 km to work

Those figures are interesting. Have you got a source for them?

Top Bottom